chevy II

My neighbor has a 63 chevy II/nova and he asked if I wanted to buy it for $500 to get it out of his yard (hes moving). It is 4-door, 6cyl. , automatic trans. Needs new exhaust, battery and new interior. There is some rust underneath but not too much. Mostly in the crevices, the frame looks solid. I enjoy working on cars (mostly Jeeps so I'm no sure about this type car) and have most of the tools needed to get this into fairly good shape.

My questions are: Is there anything particular to check on this model car? Is this model worth fixing up (I guess compared to the 2-door, V8)? Any other comments?

Thanks, Geeper

Reply to
Stan Firmpecker

I like Novas..... and there was one similar to yours, needing all of the above, plus paint that brought $1,500 on ebay a few weeks ago. If I was there, I would grab it in a heartbeat

parts are still plentiful. Year one sells parts for 1962-1974 Novas

Mark

bought 76 Nova off Ebay for $600, drove it home, sold it on Ebay 4 months later for $1,095.00 in 2004

new owner came to arkansas on a greyhound, and drove it home to Florida

Reply to
markansas859

I wouldn't buy it on a bet, but I am not a fan of that kind of car. It is 43 years old, maybe a little rusty, maybe a LOT rusty. It apparently doesn't run.

You can spend a ton on it before you get it in shape that you might be happy with it. You may never get your money out of it.

But if YOU like it, and want a project car, it doesn't have to pass any sort of logical test.

Reply to
<HLS

I love this reply, HLS. Too bad I missed potential pleasures over the years by denying myself things I wanted just due to not realizing the truth in your reply. Good advice to so many. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Wow the car I had for 10 yrs and 95K miles, except mine was the 3 sp stick shift, 200 ci 6 cyl. I towed a 1,500 lb trailer for about 15,000 of those miles, even in the western mountains. Tough drive train, using Chev parts. Original brake shoes when I sold it. The original valve train rockers were a problem, changed on warranty. It stood up well in salty roads, rain water flushed through the sills, but of course it wasn't galvanized as todays cars so I'd be very careful of a rusty body. The body is unit with a front sub frame. I added a front sway bar and nylon backed steering bushings making it much tighter on steering. Very sensitive to water on the front brake shoes.

Reply to
who