chevy pickup fan shroud

dad has a '73 C10, says he has issues with engine heating up around town in hot weather. fan shroud is not original, and isn't close to fan blades. I suspect that he used one from a straight six or a big block
(he has a 350 in it.) does this sound reasonable? anyone confirm that they are all different, or better yet have a pic of a similar pickup with correct fan shroud?
thanks,
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

No clutch, just a multi-blade flex fan. looks to be original.
nate
Shep wrote:

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Did the overheating start when the shroud was changed? If so, that is the culprit as it should go over the blade to some extent.
If, however, the shroud had been on the for 10 years and the overheating is new, other problems exist. Fan clutch, for instance, failing water pump, low coolant, clogged radiator, etc.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Don't know. this truck has been driven very rarely for the past 10 years or so, but he's starting to get out and drive it more to cruise ins etc. It got a new fan shroud a couple years back after an incident with an embankment necessitated some new front end sheetmetal. ISTR the original fan shroud reaching back farther. Per my other post, the fan is non-clutch, appears to be original flex type. Water pump is new chrome plated housing, don't know where he got it from. Engine just got a new cam and intake so coolant was flushed at that time.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Radiator circulation may be poor. Thermostat not opening all the way. Hoses collapsing (usually a higher rpm thing though) Water pump may look pretty, but may not be very effective.

Put the following events in chronological order:
1. Overheating 2. New Fan shroud 3. Chrome water pump from an unknown source. 4. New cam. 5. New Intake.
Steve
PS - Chrome don't get ya home.