Chevy pickup fuel pump

Just bought a 1998 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup from a guy at work. It has the V6 engine. The electric fuel pump on this truck is very, very noisy - sort of
a high pitched whine. Anyone familiar with this problem? Does the fuel pump need replaced or is this caused by something else? I was just looking at some parts store web sites and I see a new pump is around $300. I would really like to get rid of the noise.
The guy I bought the truck from gave me a Haynes manual and it says to relieve the pressure on the system you have to have a fuel pressure gauge, etc. Used to be the manuals just said to unhook the electrical connection to the pump and run the engine until it dies to relieve the pressure. Is replacing the fuel pump anything I can do myself or am I better off taking it to a professional? I figure by the time I pay retail price and labor it will be $500 or more but if that what it takes I supposed I have no choice. Any info is appreciated.
Rob wrote:

Common problem. Normal. Bearings going bad. It may last many years or die tomorrow. I could do it in my driveway in less than 30 minutes. It is far beyond the capabilities of my ex-wife. My thoughts are that if you need to ask about relieving system pressure, then you should not attempt to r&r the FP.
Just check the fuel pressure and if it is in the correct range it's fine. They normally make noise, when they stop making noise then you need to worry.
--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates