chevy rally wheels trim ring question

Hi all,
does anyone know what the difference in depth is between the 15x7" and 15x8" Chevy Rally trim rings? I want to put trim rings on my 15x7"
MoPar police car wheels and the 15x7" ones I got off craigslist look good but don't fit all the way to the wheel centers. I'm thinking maybe the 15x8" Chevy rings might work but would like some verification of the dimensions before I spend big bucks for a new set.
Here's the wheels/tires on the car
http://members.cox.net/njnagel2/2008_06_01/2008_06_01.html
thanks,
nate
N8N wrote:

They are 1/2" deeper. The 8" split the extra width. There are also 15X6" out there
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Steve W. wrote:

Thank you! that's what I wanted to know; so if there's more than a 1/2" gap between the trim ring and the wheel center, I can go ahead and try the larger trim rings.
Do you happen to know the overall height of the various sizes? The guy I bought the trim rings from told me that he was pretty sure they came off a 7" wide rim, but he didn't have the rims anymore to check. I didn't quibble because I just needed a starting point to find what would work well. Unfortunately MoPar didn't see fit to equip cop cars with trim rings... and those are about the only 7" wide wheel I can find without buying something expen$ive that have the right backspace to fit well on a Stude without rubbing the fenders.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Not right off hand. There should be a GM part number stamped on the back of the rings. Use that and you should be able to find what rim they fit. Camaros, Chevelles are both popular and they have restoration nuts who have all those numbers. Should be online.
Mopar did have there own Rally style wheels. BUT like original GM Rally they are not easy or cheap to get.
I kick myself for letting a full set of original 15X8 Rally rims, trim rings and caps all go with a car that the new owner has abandoned... I have tried to buy it back a couple times but he won't sell.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Steve W. wrote:

Thanks for the reply... I think my trim rings might be repros because they have little fingers all the way around, and ISTR that OEM trim rings used four clips? so I'm not expecting to find part numbers on them... I found this after googling (more than I thought it would take) does this sound right to you?
http://www.autoamenity.com/KartList/TR-15D.htm
that is, 7" wheels have 2.5" trim rings and 8" wheels have 3"?
thanks again,
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Sounds correct.
If yours have the ring of grippers they were not factory installed BUT they are likely the OEM replacements that GM had made as replacements when these rims started getting popular again.
They went to a different manufacturer who determined that the single stamping would be cheaper than the original clip and ring design. Most of the repops out there follow the revised parts. The kicker is that the later style actually stay on better and don't throw the balance off as far.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Steve W. wrote:

I didn't know that (about GM actually changing design for replacement parts,) thanks for clarifying. Obviously I am not concerned with originality much at all; I'm simply trying to find some trim rings that give me the look I want, so function is more important than having real OEM Chevy rings (on my MoPar wheels...) so a decent quality reproduction would be quite acceptable for my purposes, even "driver quality" used ones (as that's what I have now and they look just as good as the rest of the car when examined up close <G>)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

GM has done that a few times. They also like doing mid-year changes of parts. Some of those can be real interesting.
--
Steve W.