Chevy S 10 DEAD electricly

1983 Chevy S10 went completely dead while going down the road yesterday. I changed the accessory relay and I do have horn and head lights now, but no ignition. Is there any type of reset switch etc...? (I do not have manual for this vehicle) How can I test to see if it is the ignition switch? Also if it is the ignition switch how do you take the switch out on these vehicles?

Thanks ChrisGW

Reply to
ChrisGW

Hi,

New to this group.....

Any chance you have a failed or failing battery-to-frame/block ground (the main one)?

Not Dead Yet

Reply to
NotDeadYet

If you are talking about the one from the negative of the battery to the frame, that is good. I could not find a ground strap from engine block to frame. I jumped the starter last night and that worked. Turned the engine right over.

There is an in line fuse on the hot side of the solenoid and that checked out ok.

This one has me stumped.

Thanks ChrisGw

Reply to
ChrisGW

Ok,

Can you describe more symptoms? What has power and what doesn't? Have you checked all your relays?

If it's not some master grounding path, then how about some kind of fusable link supplying power to some vital component. like the computer. Sometimes these links look ok externally , but are really blown inside the insulation.

Does the fuel pump energize when you turn the key? Does this vehicle have some kind of master fuel shut off relay/breaker?

Not Dead Yet

Reply to
NotDeadYet

I'd add a block to frame ground, good grounds equal strong current flow

Reply to
451 CTDS

On the S10:

there are 2 or more fusible links on the hot of the starter, plus one on a block on the firewall.

As 451 said, post more symptoms, tell us what does and doesn't have power. We'll do our best to help you. At this point, I don't think you have a ground issue any longer!

Refinish King

"NotDeadYet" Have you checked all your relays?

Reply to
Refinish King

Problem solved. There was a break in one of the wires coming off the solenoid. When I cut it open it looked like it had just corroded. I have never seen anything like it.

Thanks for all the help.

ChrisGW

Reply to
ChrisGW

See my other post. Problem solved.

I agree and it has been done. I also told my daughter to find a boy friend who is more mechanically inclined. Ended up working on two of his vehicles this weekend. The alternator in the other one. although that one I had him do the work and I supervised with a cup of coffee.

Thanks again to all

Reply to
ChrisGW