Chevy Starter Problem?

I have a 1992 Chevy Lumina with the 3.1L Engine. In the last few weeks I have been experiencing intermittent times when I turn the ignition key all I
get is a "click". The engine won't crank. I tried it again and got the same thing. The third time I turned the key it fired right up like usual. This has happened about 4 times in the last few months. The battery is fairly new and the lights worked fine before I tried to start it up. Does this sound like the starter is getting ready to go? Thanks. Joe

I would put a volt meter on your battery, or take the battery to a shop and have it tested (most chain stores will do it for free).
Is it a Auto Zone battery? I'm on my third POS AZ battery in less than a year. Internal battery connector problems that make intermittent starting problems are the issue, just like your problem. When it acts up are your headlights bright? That's the easy check.

Bright headlights are not a very good indicator. It takes only a fraction of the current to drive headlights bright, that it does to spin a starter. A low battery condition can easily produce good bright lights, but not spin a starter.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

This symptom is certainly consistent with the starter beginning to go. I went through the exact same thing recently, and finally pulled the starter out and found burned contacts and brushes worn.
As others have posted, other things can also be happening.

Didn't you ask this question asked only a short time ago? Check the starter - start with checking the connections at the starter. Make sure they are tight, not burnt, not corroded. If they are in good sound condition, be prepared to take your starter out and have it tested.