Chevy Toying WIth Me

The Chevy dealer my buddy works at put their Red Tags on the inside mirrors on Saturday. Lots of reduced prices.

One, new 04 Impala LS with only two options added, a leather bench seat (it deletes std buckets, console floorshift ) and CD radio is marked down to $21,100.

Thats a very tempting offer.............

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,024 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Got to be able to negotiate a better deal than that I would think. Buddy of mine just scored a new 04 Silverado extend cab work truck (V-6 yuck) for just over $16K. The dealer wanted that truck gone in a bad way........Options....carpet, tilt, and cruise. I would be willing to bet it was ordered as a fleet vehicle and the customer backed out.

Reply to
Eightupman

Isn't this the time of year when the manufacturer's hold back just about doubles so that the dealer has a greater incentive to move those last year models off the lot?

When I bought my Safari station wagon in late '88 the dealer agreed to give that extra hold back because I knew about it and asked for it in order to make the deal.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

what's the hold back

Reply to
Tim or Linda

Dealers are generally offered a 5% carryover allowance, for a period of six months, to move last years models.

mike hunt

Silver Surfer wrote:

Reply to
RustyFender

Generally, 3%

mike hunt

"Tim or Linda

Reply to
RustyFender

The neighbor (the one with the 2002 LeSabre) just picked up a 2004 Base Impala from just over $16K about a month ago. Cloth bench seat, 3.4 V6, base wheels, etc. I would think that one could pick up a LS as you describe for around 19K. Was the marked price before discounts?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I've rented several in the last few months. The standard coolant leaking manifold 3400 was horribly underpowered. A real dog. Downshifts several gears going up low grades. Hard to pass anyone on the freeway. I won't rent one of those again. The 3800 was ok though. Not as much power as my old 3300 Grand Am but it handled very nicely. Rock solid and under control sliding sideways down an offramp in Dallas that would have rolled my old Grand Am. Mileage was 24 mpg combined. I would never buy one though because of the high door sills. Can't hang my arm out the window. The rearview mirror is way too small. And dark. I don't understand why GM uses terrible rearview mirrors.

Reply to
« Paul »

Really!? The 3400 V6 that bad? Interesting. Doesn't the LS come standard with the 3800 though?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

in message

Had the same experience with the 04 Grand Am's with the 3400. I guess they are ok... Not enough power for me though. I don't know what=

models of Impalas I've rented. It's whatever vehicle Budget has availabl= e. The last one had the 3800. I would consider buying one except for for th= e high door sill. The mirror and stereo would get replaced immediately. It was a comfortable car on long trips and handled very nice around town.=

Reply to
« Paul »

JCR,

I forgot what the sticker price was on the car. I'll look tomorrow when I pick up my brake hoses.

Yes the LS has the 3800 std, optional in the base.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,024 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

No power? Downshifting on hills?

Where are you driving, in the middle of the Rockies or just a cruise up Pike's Peak? I have a 2002 Impala with the 3400 and it has plenty of power. It doesn't compare with the 396 or the two 427's that I once owned but it's good enough to drive on an interstate without problems.

I drive through the mountains of PA and VA frequently and use my cruise while doing it. It's rare that the transmission needs to downshift except on the worst hills. Methinks that your rental car may have been purposely detuned by the rental agency to rein in the wild drivers. Hurtz used to do that but I don't know if it's still being done by anyone.

My two-year-old Impals is a good car and the more I drive it, the better I like it. BTW, in three years, I've had no repairs made on the car and my only expenses have been routine oil and gas. The only problem I find is the "ultra-cheap" Uniroyal tires put on at the factory and once those are gone, I'll be a lot happier.

Rich B