Chevy Volt Sparks Garage Fire...

The "Short Circuit", a pyromaniac's favorite car
Chevy Volt Sparks Garage Fire... http://www.wfsb.com/news/27541598/detail.html
Gov't Motors nears 52-week low after report...
http://tinyurl.com/3zzsypl
--
"Your first, last, and only line of defense-a Cohort of Roman Heavy
Infantry"
On 4/15/2011 10:22 PM, Jim_Higgins wrote:

Well, as of now the investigation is still open, they are not sure what happened. It is possible that there was a faulty outlet that the Volt was plugged into that caused the fire, whether that can be blamed on the car or not is debatable.
I was told that the Volt does have the ability to detect that there is a power problem with the source, whether that is true, and whether it works properly is also debatable.
But regardless, it is an embarrassment for GM!
--
I'm never going to grow up.

On 4/16/11 7:59 AM, PeterD wrote:

forgot to mention?????
On 4/16/2011 8:07 AM, Tom wrote:

There was something, but who knows what. I heard 'Suzuki', I heard home made electric. The idea that it is the fault of the Volt, at this point is perhaps premature.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

On 16/04/2011 5:59 AM, PeterD wrote:

Not only that, what happens if the Lithium battery packs were melted/burned? Lithium isn't exactly pet friendly.
--
I can assure you that the road to prosperity is not paved with
fleabagger debt.

It frigging figures... the video on that page was in stretch-o-vision, IE 4x3 stretched to 16x9. Luckily I could fix it by changing the aspect ratio setting on my Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR. (My PC is hooked to the AVR and TV via a DVI-HDMI adapter and HDMI cable, both from Monoprice, along with a coaxial S/PDIF cable for audio)
On that note any heavy electrical load can start a fire, I have noticed an increase in electrical house fires locally each winter ever since those damn scam/ripoff "Amish" and "infrared" heaters were introduced. When I run my space heaters it is exclusively on dedicated 20 amp multiwire branch circuits using 12/3 with ground and good Eagle or Cooper 20 amp receptacles, none of that Leviton crap which melts if you so much as look at it crosswise.
IIRC, lithium ion batteries have been known to autoignite in computers, phones, etc. I believe the Volt uses this type of battery. This may just be something that happens once in a rare while.
On 15/04/2011 8:22 PM, Jim_Higgins wrote:

So funny, GM Volt, lighting up homes.