Chicago Tribune 2005 GTO article.

Just a small mention in Sundays Chicago Tribune's Auto section, page 3.
(snip ) This SEMA show in Vegas,..yadda yadda yadda, Pontiac provided a peek at
the 2005 GTO coming out in December with a 6 Litre 400 HP V-8 replacing the 5.7 Litre 350 HP V-8. While the GTO will offer optional hood scoops for a sportier look, the SEMA car also added front & rear facia extensions, spoiler and rocker panel extensions from GM Parts and Service Division to show how buyers can dress it up even more.
Pontiac then showed a GTO with a new 6.4 Litre, 575 HP V-8 with Ram Air induction, which suggests that the rumors are true that Pontiac is developing an even higher output GTO. Its supposed to be dubbed the Judge, a name used on the highest output GTO in the 60's & 70's.
But, insiders insist, don't expect a Judge for a couple of years until Pontiac increases GTO sales volume. For 04, its first year on the market, GTO sold about 9000 units, or roughly half the target. For 05, Pontiac says the 400 HP V-8 should boost sales to 12,000 to 18,000 GTO's.
End of article.
HF
I was planned and ready to purchase a GTO for the wife. Until I went to the dealer and was expected to pay sticker price. This was a year ago. I ended up getting her an 04 GP instead fully loaded with all the bells and whistles. Now they can't sell all they have built and the price is negotiable.

Harry Face wrote:

well, they woulda sold 9001 if they would allow Canadians to own them. but no.... stupid GM. Stupid Transport Canada. ;)
It doesn't need more power. It does not need (tasteless) fake hood scoops.
It needs some styling, a dead pedal, and a trunk.
George Litwinski

| It doesn't need more power.
Probably true...but can't hurt. ;-) But I agree that power is an area that really doesn't need any more attention at the moment. Power isn't the problem.
| It does not need (tasteless) fake hood scoops.
I strongly disagree...the scoop *IS* signature GTO. It *must* have the scoop just like the Mustang has the grille emblem and the inset "C" styling along the side panels. It simply isn't a GTO without the scoop.
| It needs some styling,
Yes, "legacy" styling...design styling elements that says "I am a GTO" before even seeing the badge. Look at the Mustang...you *know* it's a Mustang at first glance. What do you see with the GTO? All you know is that it is a Pontiac. Not nearly good enough!
| a dead pedal,
???
| and a trunk.
Nope..GTO owners won't care about a trunk...they will want quick quarter times. Nix that one...just forget it. It isn't a car that will be used very often for vacation trips.
You missed some BIG ones. GM needs to get the price down in line with the Mustang...which means shave off about $8K...or they aren't going to sell very well no matter what they do. And, my pet peeve...get rid of the stupid-shit useless annoying DRLs!!! The Mustang doesn't have them...the GTO shouldn't either (unless the buyer wants them)
GRL wrote:

GM likes to add lots of plastic parts: side panels, scoops, wheel well tops. It will end up looking exactly like a Grand Am.
Folks,
I think the GTO name has been done some wrong. The car that Pontiac calls GTO, is a repackaged Monaro.
This reminds me of the days that you would put a V-8 in a Chevy Vega. Sure it's fast, but it is not a GTO. Many manufactures are bringing back the retro-look. It's for a good reason,... the older bodies had more style/curves. They were not aerodynamic, but they went fast in a straight line, and looked pretty cool parked at a joint.
The GTO was a muscle-car. Something that signified American freedom, and the love of a cool, fast car. A re-packaged Monaro, in no way, could come close to being it's replacement.
For Pete's sake, the thing looks like a rice-grinder, or Euro-car. No GTO here!
Today's youths have no concept of the GTO. Perhaps that's why they are difficult to purchase? I don't want one,.. it's not a GTO. But,.. they are going like hot-cakes.
A fool and his money, are soon parted.
Gmdude
| Folks, | | But,.. they are going like hot-cakes. | | A fool and his money, are soon parted. |
They must have picked up the GTO sales recently then. When I checked a few months back the Aztek (of all things) was selling at twice the rate the GTO was...and that is not saying much!