china intends to buy gm

One can wonder how long china is going to keep GM.

Are they buying GM to run it, move it to china or close it down?

Reply to
Bjorn

Maybe they will shoot poor managers? We can only hope.

GM-rice burners with a bow tie

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

Whatever happens GM is never going to reach former heights.

They are bound to be decreasing in size and operations in the US.

The Volt seems to be an interesting exception to the rest.

Reply to
Bjorn

I dont think so.

Reply to
hls

It is actually interesting to see that they seem to be selling the Volt in numbers even long before anyone has had the possibility to try it.

It may be way to expensive for many people but it is important that the quality is good and they may able to come out with less expensive versions after testing out the market for some time.

For some reason they seem to have been able to sell the idea that the Volt is an electrical car even if it is a hybrid.

It being a hybrid also saves them the problem of the electrical car running out of power here and there so it will probably save them quite a lot of hazzle.

The Prius has sold well so a hybrid is obviously selling.

All things considered I think the Volt is going to make it in spite of what I thought earlier

Reply to
Bjorn

It looks like the interest in the IPO is bigger than what I expected.

The price of under $30 is not getting enough to pay for the bailout but the fact that the GM stocks will be selling at all is interesting.

Quite a lot of debt and obligations have been written off so it is clearly not the same company as before.

Many s*****ad managers have also been kicked out so the whole exercise of the bankrupcy seems to be giving the option of some parts of GM might be able to live on.

Who is to get the credit if it does not fail all together?

Is Obama the big hero?

Reply to
Bjorn

No surprise to me. The Volt is another niche vehicle that some folks just want to own simply because of the status of having it. Others want it so they can claim "look what I'M doing to help the earth"

Same reasons why the Prius sells so well.

None of that matters to the folks who are lining up to buy them. Just like the people who lined up to buy cars like Ferrari's and Lamborghini's.

Because the buyers don't really care.

Reply to
Steve W.

SO you can not only flaunt "helping the planet" but you can steal money from your fellow tax payers...

What a deal...

Reply to
Steve W.

In order to get $7000 the cars need to be registered as electric. GM is beginning to register all cars as electric to get $7000 extra for every car sold. It obviously has nothing to do with reality.

Reply to
Bjorn
***** No it doesnt.. I think they will sell a lot of these cars to "government" customers. A captive Obama market.. It is too big an undertaking to let it fail, dont you know?
Reply to
hls

GE ordered 12,000 Volts but I wonder if they are a supplier of parts (electronics?, batteries?) and have a vested interest in making the Volt launch look like a success. I seriously doubt the Volt will survive once the novelty wears off or the $7000 government subsidy expires.

Reply to
JimG

Best bank for the buck would be to bust up GM. GM-Euro, GM-USA and GM-China.

Only GM China is worth anything as is. Sell off USA and Euro for whatever you can get. GM China would be worth billions.

Reply to
Canuck57

What I heard on Squawk Box is that GM stocks may be one of the best buys around. The commentator says that GM has done its job, the "crap" is out of the company, and that they are making good and profitable cars.

Of course, it had to hump the American taxpayer to do it. Ford is the real champion for getting the act together, being profitable, being respectable.

I still do not trust GM, but it took me years to really get pissed at it, and in a few years maybe I will trust them enough to buy again.

Reply to
hls