Classic Chevy boat

Page 1 of 2
I was watching world news tonight and saw the ultimate classic chevy boat. A bunch of Cubans took a vintage 51 chevy Pick up and strapped a number of 55 gallon barrels on the sides so it would float. They then
put a propeller on the end of the drive shaft. They were making 7 MPH when the coast guard caught them. I hoped they saved the truck. Those guys deserved to get into the country.
BOB

Unfortunately, they sunk the "boat" as a hazard to navigation. Also repatriated the Cubans.
Dave

Dave Brower wrote:

Hell with the cubans, they should have re patriated the truck to the US. Its only fair. I can imagine the cost guard cutter looks sharp with a 51 chevy pick up stenciled on the side as a kill ;)
BOB

Executions tonight at 11 Eastern on PTC (Peoples Television of Cuban)
Dave Brower wrote:

Now that's just a shame, I saw the pics of that truck, it looked pretty good.
nate

any links to those pics? I really wanna see that engineering masterpiece!
ahmet

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030724/od_uk_nm/oukoe_odd_cubans_1
Truck looked like it is was in good condition too.
Wow! It didn't look THAT nice on the news.
What a shame they sunk it.
dragonwrote:

I've got a model of that style truck, but I think mine is a 1950.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~260,484 miles_~_~~_
You could use empty film canisters to simulate the flotation drums. haha GW
Harry Face wrote:

Nice to see they can get Monster Garage on satellite.
Damn you said it before i could.....
Between monster garage or junkyard wars i have to say that truck is one hell of a piece of engineering....

How in the hell did they steer the thing? 7mph about 90 miles.
Sounds like one hell of a long ride.

I would think that the front wheels would make crude rudders as well. Being on the wrong end they wouldn't work as well but could still do the job.
BOB URZ wrote:

Unfortunately the coast guard claimed it was a hazard to navigation and sunk it.

Probably would have gotten all sorts of offers to appear on talk shows...with the truck.
think gm would have made an offer use it in an ad "Our truck go Everywhere"

I don't remember whether it was local or national news, but when one reporter mentioned that the truck was sunk as a nav hazard, the phrasing was more or less:
"The Coast Guard considered the truck a navigation hazard so it was sunk.... [dramatic pause] ... like a rock."
So perhaps GM may decline the offer...
karl davis wrote:

What ought to be illegal is using the US Coast Guard in service to Cuba. Seems the USA has a "secret" agreement, called "wet-foot, dry-foot", in which any Cubans that make it to US soil essentially get asylum. But, if they don't make it ashore (even if they get within the 12-mile territorial waters), they go back to Cuba.
Sure, I remember the Mariel episode, where Castro emptied his prisons and asylums and about 30,000 Cubans came to the USA. But still, something just isn't right when we keep out (and return to Cuban punishment) people who have shown such ingenuity and determination.
The Coast Guard used to be the good guys. Now, they seem to practice a policy of intercepting non-USA vessels in international waters, seizing the crew, and sinking the vessels. Didn't we used to call that kind of crap piracy? Is this what you want your government to do in your name?
Ed

overrun with illegal immigrants and most of them are unable to support themselves. Ingenuity and determination you call it? How about a burglar who spends weeks checking out your house before robbing you blind and leaving no clues as to who did it. I could call him ingenuous and determined as well couldn't I? Would you give that burglar safe haven just because he was "ingenious and determined"? Bob

Not in this case, and both political parties won't stop it because they want the votes.

Has no relation to building a powered boat from a '51 chevy truck, a task that requires a skill sets that make a person employable.