Clunk when stopping

Hey guys, Im hoping someone here can help me out because I really cant afford a garage right now...I have a 84 bonneville and when coming to a stop, I get one clunk from each front wheel area. It usually only happens after I've been driving for about 15 minutes or so, but then it does it every time I stop, and Im starting to notice it happening when Im making a slow sharp turn. I only get one clunk from each side usually being the driver side first, followed by the passenger side. I can feel it in the floor while in the driver seat. I was told the ball joints were fine....Any ideas where I should look next? Thanks in advance

Reply to
Mark W.

I'd look at the CV joints. That's a guess of sorts though. Plenty of things can cause a clunk. Only way to know is to get the car up in the air. Brake calipers can make "clunks" of sorts when releasing and your description is too vague for anyone to really guess with much accuracy. If you take it to a garage for them to check it out and give you an estimate, it probably won't cost anything and you'll know for sure what is wrong.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Brake calipers loose, bad shocks, rubber bushings wore out, pins holding discs in place worn out comes to mind. I believe yours is a RWD instead of a FWD which would leave out CV joints.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

I'm pretty sure it's the lower ball joints have worn loose in the lower arm. I just went through that on my 1985 Pontiac. When you brake the whole bearing will shift forward. Don't leave it too long.

Reply to
erness.wild

thanks erness, thats what Ive been thinking as well. Also thanks to the rest of you who replied.

Reply to
Mark W.