Cobalt trunk light

The trunk light in my 2007 Cobalt is so dim that it is useless. I talked to the dealer and to (GM?) both said that it is the correct bulb, if I changed it to a brighter bulb it would blow a fuse or possibly burn up the wiring voiding the warranty. Anyone know of a better bulb for this application or have an alternate fix? Thank you.

Reply to
Sudy Nim

Where is your light at? If its mounted under the back shelf shinning into a dark grey trunk It usually is dim.

When the lights were mounted on the trunk lid they shinned down into the the trunk and typically didn't have a lens over the bulb.

One suggestion would be to see if you can remove the lens and see if that improves the amount of light in the trunk. You could also mount an older trunk light assembly from an older car (mercury switch type) and mount it on the trunklid, but be sure the light goes out when you close the trunk.

A trim shop could set you up with a lighter colored trunk trim. I hate the dark colored trunk trim the manufacturers are using now.

Good Luck.

harryface

91 Bonneville 310,701 05 Park Avenue 63,867
Reply to
Harry Face

Thanks for the reply. It is mounted under the shelf. My previous car was a Cavalier and it also had the light under the shelf but it was a much brighter bulb and worked OK. The cobalt has a lens over it while the Cavalier did not. Removing the lens does not help. I went to the library and looked at the Chilton (sp?) books but they don't list the bulb number or sizes. The dealer parts and service department was of no help. They just say no modification is recommended and voids the warranty.

Sudy Nim

Reply to
Sudy Nim

Bulb information is in the owners manual so get it out and read....

Reply to
Woody

I find it very hard to believe that a dealer told you that any bulb "modification" would void your warranty. If they did, and you believe it, then you deserve to be in the dark inside your trunk.

Reply to
Mike Marlow