Code Reader

Anybody know of a good code reader for the OBD2 systems ? I was thinking of a good one, because I will probably use it allot. Maybe a more deluxe one is what I am looking for, but I don't know what to get. Please help me to understand what is best.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike

IMO, you have to decide whether you want a code reader or a scan tool. A code reader is a code reader is a code reader. They are all the same and come in various colours at various prices.

If you want a scan tool, the possibilities are endless, and so are the dollar figures.

My advice? Buy the cheapest code reader you can find, a half decent DVM and a set of factory service manuals for your particular vehicle.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Code readers are pretty similiar to each other..they read codes.

For a DIY'r scan tool Auto X-ray has a pretty good series of tools available. They are software upgradeable for different vehicle types so you can start with a basic scan tool and add on according to your needs.

They allow connection to OBDI and OBD II

You can also find at your local parts store....and quite frequently on e-bay. Visit their site and see what's best for you before purchasing one on ebay as there is a lot of variety between models and capabilities.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

You also need to determine if you want a computer based scan tool. with a computer based you can store unlimited scans for analysis and comparison down the road. Look at

for one that is well supported and software upgraded regularly.You can also download the program with a sample scan to look at. On a laptop scans can be made in real time while driving. I have no connection with the company other than using their scanner for several years....

Reply to
Woody

Hi,

I bought an OBD II code reader Geniscan GS100 for $59.99 CD @ Princess Auto.

Reply to
Nino Nospam

I looked at some of their tools, but I have some issues. Is it that much more that you get for the money? And they seem to have an 'aggressive' upgrade/update' policy. Not aggressive from the customer value point of view, aggressive from the make them more money point of view. Now that's fine, but are they leaving things out to make upgrades later or are they really staying on top of vehicle technology to pass that to users with upgrades?

The other question I had is why no laptop/pc interface, other than for the upgrades to the unit? Or did I miss something and when you have the option PC interface hardware you CAN use the unit as just the interface for your laptop/PC to your vehicle?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y