Code saver plugs into lighter

We install a lot of batteries, someone just took one out of their '01 Honda and erased everything, etc., big hassle, Honda dealership said we had to get a number off the radio (R&R radio to get it?), get the VIN,
AND a number off the block, and call it in to them. Sounds like b.s. to me (I mean what a huge hassle) but:
1. Is all that really necessary (numbers, VIN, etc.)?
2. Would the whole problem have been prevented by plugging one of those code savers into the lighter?
3. Will one of those pretty much service every vehicle?
4. Where can you buy one?
The code is to stop theft of radios so do you expect it to be simple to find. A card comes with the car when purchased with the code on it. Have him check all his documentation that came with the car if purchased new. The dealer can get the code with the radio serial number but should never give it out without first verifying the ownership of the radio and vehicle otherwise any thief could just call them and get the code. As for the code saver, yes it will work by keeping power in the system with cavots. If you accidentally touch the battery + cable to any ground while changing the battery you could create major damage to your electrical system. So if using one make sure you insulate the + battery cable when removed from the battery.....