Cold nights cause a temperature-dependent max achievable speed

Page 2 of 2
noname wrote:

Have you replaced the coil pack? Mine were bad in late summer and engine balked and hesitated when under load.

Hi yet again...
Sorry, didn't notice the vehicle age.
Shouldn't have said air intake temperature sensor, but rather manifold air temperature sensor for an '88
My apologies.
Ken
Office Drone wrote:

Sounds like the throttle body is icing up....
--
Paul
'91 XL1200

That would make sense. How can I diagnose this on my own (to make sure), and how does it get usually fixed?
I had a two week break from the eternal struggle due to relocation, but now it's back to morning wrestling.
Had my exhaust system evaluated, the car is now humble as a bea, but it's the same insanity in the morning.
Next step would be throwing the wire from the oxygen sensor inside the car and gradually unplugging sensor-by-sensor.
Office Drone wrote:

have
than
Good to hear from you. Thought you might have dropped off the face of the earth. Hang in there with the car problem. Hopefully your logical approach will find the culprit(s).

Silver Surfer wrote:

I'm guessing fuel pump. You might consider spray can circut cooler, and spraying suspect components to try to find the heat sensitive one
That's a pretty neat idea. I have replaced the fuel pump to another one shortly after the engine change. The old one lasted only one day. So fuel pump itself doesn't seem to be connected to the behavior. Mechanic checked for restrictions in fuel delivery, and said that everything was ok. But cooling parts down to -50C (-60F) could help in tracing down the circuit. Worth the try.
451ctds wrote:

Discovered two things:
a) ECM reads 100mph when the car actually goes at 30mph b) Fuel pumps runs at the lowest allowed range @32psi (specs define 32-40 range).
Negative battery cable was loose, fixed that.
A friendly mechanic, who tried to quickly troubleshoot the wounded beast, said that there was a lot of odd rattle in the exhaust system and also fixed some broken ground wires in the vicinity of the transmission. And then left the country. I hope my beautiful car didn't scare him to that extent.
I asked him about flushing the exhaust, he said that he never heard of such thing.
The weather keeps changing to warmer one, problem is becoming harder to catch.
Silver Surfer wrote:

of the

approach
but