COMPUTER CHIP IGNITION KEY / 96 CHEVROLET CAPRICE CLASSIC

Hello,
I have two Caprice Classics. one is a 1995 & the other a 1996. The 1996 has the computer chip embedded in the ignition key
as an anti theft component. I have a very bad habit of loosing keys and
these "special" ones are pricey. Anyone know the manner one would utilize to disable this system? Most 14 year old boosters can do it. I never picked up that trade secret because I spent 21 years as a police officer, retiring in 1996 due to bad heart / lungs. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Ray Miller
snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com
Won't be a computer chip, just a resistor. If you know the resistance value (i.e you have the key), you can wire in a resistor into the circuit. This is commonly done as part of an install of a remote starter.
If you don't know the resistance value, this would be a rather time-consuming trial and error process, and that's after gaining access to the wiring involved.. I'd doubt that many of the cars you saw stolen by 14-year-olds were equipped with this system.
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
I was told by GM once that there are only 10 different resistors used. maybe 200 ohms to 2000 ohms in 200 ohm increments as I recall. Just measure your key with a VOM