Computer codes

Service engine soon light comes on after 2 to 4 miles of driving. Turn the engine off, and does same after starting again.
Does the analyzer have to be connected while the engine is not running? If
so, is there a way around it?
94 Blazer S-10, Vortec 4.3L, automatic transmission. Observable symptoms are poor gas mileage 13-15mpg, sluggish transmission shifts that seem delayed after driving more than a few minutes. Engine doesn't use, burn or leak oil. No tranny fluid use, color changes, or burning. AC works for about ten minutes then quits (son-in-law says it the low pressure sensor).
--
Jonny

the
If
No - it can be connected while the engine is running. I'm confused though - why would you care since the problem is so easily reproduceable? It's not like you've described an intermittent problem that is unpredictable in its appearance.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Code or codes may reveal something I least suspect or don't suspect at all. May keep me from "spinning my wheels", "chasing my tail".
--
Jonny

all.
Sorry Jonny - what I meant was why do you care how you hook it up? Since it fails so quickly, even hooking it up with the engine off would pose no real issue for your troubleshooting process. Was just an idle question of sorts.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
In article

Your question is a bit ambiguous... Trouble codes can be retrieved with a paper clip. Since the SES light is coming on, the first thing you'd want to do is read the trouble codes.

Sounds like a typical vin W 4.3; problems inside the intake manifold with the CPI.