Computer problem???? Olds 88 - 1992 Help!

Yesterday I was on a trip with my car which has been running great. A 1992 olds 88 with 132,000 miles. My cruise control went out, the car shifted out of overdrive and would not shift back. I pulled off to check the
transmission fluid but that was fine. When I started again out again, it had a terrible time shifting and the engine was reving up and down - especially while idelling. I had to continue on my trip so I took it easy. The next day the car ran fine. Is this a computer problem? If so, can I replace this part without special tools and/or calabration?
Thanks,
Mike Scholin snipped-for-privacy@charter.net

The OBD(onboard diagnostic) system in your computer should have trouble codes set concerning this problem/other problems. Try reading/get someone to read them, and proceed from that information.
Dave S(Texas)