Considering a VW even though I'm a Chevy Man

Page 1 of 3
While it appears GM and the big 3 in general aren't going to offer truly fuel efficient hybrids (other than the Ford Escape, but even that isn't stellar) I've been checking into and seriously considering a VW Jetta TDI
(diesel) which can easily produce 45plus MPG with NO worries about battery life etc...
The TDI diesel produces the best gas mileage of any non hybrid auto offered in the US. With that thought in mind, I just read that VW has a hybrid in the works, using the diesel engine along with batteries, and preliminary results suggest it will be capable of 65 mpg or possibly higher. That would best the Prius numbers by a long shot and make it the most fuel efficient vehicle in the US. Wouldn't it be interesting if VW suddenly rose to the top of the heap while the big 3 all scratch their heads and try to figure out how to transition from trucks to fuel efficient cars??? (and I own two Chevy's, so I'm not anti GM)
A very interesting concept IMHO, and I'm anxious to see how it works out.
Willy
[...]
Me too! We lost our VW dealership some years ago. Not sure how far I have to travel to see one.
--
Anyolmouse

I don't think it's a matter of GM not understanding how to transition from trucks to high mileage cars. They've been building more 30mpg cars than anyone else for a long time. Re-tooling to meet new market demands will take them some time and effort, and no time in GM's life could be worse than the present for that kind of effort, but that's not the big issue in my opinion. GM has to figure out how to get out of the old school mindset for how they run their company, and get out from underneath the unions and the obligations they have to them.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Well said.. On the stock report just a few minutes ago, GM apparently made an announcement that they think they have enough working capital for 2008, but bankruptcy is not out of the question, if I understood correctly.
Of course, a bankruptcy would not necessarily nor even probably be the end of GM. It would just put them into reorganization, I guess, and the stockholders would take the "last tango in Paris".
Mike Marlow wrote:

FWIW
Taken from http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/feb/29/volkswagen.cars
"Volkswagen, Europe's largest car-maker, tonight posted record pre-tax profits for 2007 of 6.5bn (5bn), easily beating market forecasts, and predicted a new milestone in earnings this year."
What's my point? Volkswagen has a UNIONIZED work force. It appears that if a company has competent management and a good product, unions are not an issue. BTW - their workers' benefits are more extensive than those of UAW members. So please, to all of you union bashers out there, stop blaming unions for Detroit's shortcomings. Have a nice day.

The fact that they have a union is not the issue. It is what some (not all) unions have for wages and benefits and work rules. For many years the auto makers gave the unions many concessions to avoid a strike and just added that cost to the price of a car and the beat went on. Before making one line proclamations, do a side by side comparison of not only wages, but work rules and productivity.
Good idea. Go ahead and compare the benefits of the Big 3 unions to those of VW's workers. They will bear out the gist of my comment, which you so artfully avoided.
wrote in message

Only because you so artfully avoided what had originally been said and seem bent on turning this into a union vs. no union battle, when that's never what the original comment was about. Go ahead though - read another page of your union manual and convince yourself that everyone around you is anti-union.
--

What had been originally said:
"get out from underneath the unions and the obligations they have to them."
My response:
Volkswagen, a unionized company, is having record sales and profits. " It appears that if a company has competent management and a good product, unions are not an issue. "
I addressed your comment. You have yet to address the facts I presented.
It often happens that the people most incensed by any pro union comment are usually those who wish they were making a union level salary.
Have a nice day.

Good for them. As I stated before, there are many differences between the unions of the US car makers and others. The union itself is neither good or bad, but contract restraints can be. I also put some of the blame on the company as they agreed to give the house away at times. If this was 1930 I may be pro union. Since my working career started in 1963 I've had no use for them personally.

Sorry, but I could never take the pay cut. I can also think for myself, negotiate for myself, and I certainly don't want to walk out of my job because some slacker can't cut it on the job.. I've worked for a couple of union companies but never had the desire to join one.
Some unions are good and honestly try to better the work environment, others are out to make a buck and collect dues from hard working people that just don't know any better. I've seen it up close and dealt with the union officials.

I addressed your response which was all about what you felt was a need to set the record straight. The fact of the matter is that GM is bogged down by years of two things - bad management practices (as I stated originally) and bad union agreements. Both of those were survivable during banner decades, but both of those are equally burdensome to a company in difficult times. Both are equally responsible for their share of those difficult times. It's one thing to live high in good times and more power to both union members and management if they can do so. It's an entirely different thing to stand fast on terms and practices which are refelective of the good times, when things aren't so good. Say what you will but the obligations that the automakers have to their unions (active and retired) is as costly to GM as their good old boys management style.

Perhaps, but in this case I assure you - not the case. I am neither incensed, nor would I wish to lower my income level to that point.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

When a company gets too big the objective of creating good cars seems to get lost. The Unions are fighting for the salaries and working hours of members as if that is the only issue to worry about. Management basically figting the unions and getting as much as they can for themselves.
The common goal of keeping the company alive falls between the camps somewhere and becomes a side issue.

http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2006/02/16/reece/index.html
The Union of miners support destroying the land for the sake of salaries and jobs for its members.
The rest of the population and the environment they do not care about.
"keep people poor and scared so that they remain powerless."
"justice may be slow coming to the mountains of Appalachia. But justice delayed could mean the ruin of a place that has sacrificed much for this nation, and has received next to nothing in return."

Not everyone, but you obviously are.

I have no need for a union in my life, but I'm not anti-union. My original point put the weight equally on the shoulders of GM management and obligations GM has to union contracts. Hardly seems anti-union to me.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

So, why did you bring it up?
Go ahead though - read another page of

Not everyone, but you obviously are. So, you advocate "get out from underneath the unions and the obligations they have to them."? Nice philosophy you got goin' there. I'm sure people you deal with daily appreciate the fact that you're so quick to try to weasel out of an agreement. Hope it works for you. It wouldn't for most.
Dave

You cannot understand the difference between discussing the weight of something like union contracts on a company, and the practice of union bashing?

Contracts are renegotiated periodically. Surely you can understand there are opportunities presented for changes and adjustments at these times. Why do you assume (rather foolishly) that I suggest "weaseling" out of any agreement? You need to take your union blinders off and look around at the world of options that exist out here in reality.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

You did not read my post very well before you got all nervous about the union comment. Instead of repeating myself, I'll just ask you to go back and read what I wrote again.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
I'm the nervous one? I didn't read what you wrote? Horsefeathers. YOU introduced the union element into this discussion. Reading your comments again is unnecessary - you expressed yourself more clearly than even you realize.

Reading comprehension is clearly not your strong suit.