Considering a VW even though I'm a Chevy Man

Page 2 of 3
...and critical thinking is a skill that you obviously lack.
Have a nice day.

VW has moved a lot of jobs away from their most expensive UNIONIZED work force in Germany. First by introducing a lot of robots so they need a lot less people. Also moving to low wage countries.
VW has moved a lot of jobs away from their most expensive UNIONIZED work force in Germany. First by introducing a lot of robots so they need a lot less people. Also moving to low wage countries.
***********
Exactly what low wage countries are you talking about?

Mexico for one.

East europe, spain, portugal, mexico etc

East europe, spain, portugal, mexico etc
As a matter of fact, they made them in Brasil as well. (That is where I lived when I owned my first Passat).
It makes sense, I guess to make those cars in countries where they are large sellers. And, as you say, the salaries and benefits to the workers in Germany are expensive.
I think VW would do better in the USA if (1) they were more client oriented and (2) some of the quality issues (mostly electrical issues) were effectively addressed.

VW owns several other brands. It is very interesting to visit Autostadt http://autostadt.de/portal/site /
Volkswagen Pavillon
Seat Pavillon
Bentley Pavillon
Audi Pavillon
Lamborghini Pavillon
koda Pavillon
koda Pavillon
The VW Skoda was one of the best bargains in my country of original choice. Not good for resale, but high quality and inexpensive.

After VW bought Skoda the quality of the Skoda became the same as VW - very high - but the price remained very low. The reputation of low quality is hard to get rid of.
Gosi wrote:

Most VWs sold in the US come from Mexico or Brazil.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I would like to hope that VW holds the same high standards no matter where the car is made...(?)
HLS wrote:

What's sad is that the typical reputation of VW quality among VW fans is Germany = best, everywhere else = pretty good, Westmoreland, PA = run like hell. Now my mom drove a Westmoreland built Golf for almost 20 years so they must have cranked out at least a few good ones. I had two Westmoreland built cars myself, one was fine, the other had a lot of niggling little problems, but it had been sitting in a barn and then resuscitated before I bought it.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

One of the things I have heard about VW, and which really disappoints me if true, is that in cases of problems, the dealerships are about as helpful as a case of diarrhea, and the "factory", corporate VW, takes the dealership side.
Pity the client, if this is true..
Of course, GM has had a long history of similar behavior.

This is somewhat true. I would love to simply level and pave over the dealership in Livonia, MI for trying to screw me over on some repairs on my '89 16V (I yanked it out of there when they told me I would have to replace a 2-year old catcon before they'd even go any farther with troubleshooting the car; investigation at an independent shop revealed a perfectly good cat but a burned valve.) However the dealership in Annapolis, MD where I bought my '02 GTI was pretty decent; only peeve was that my car had the typical A4 window regulator problems and they wouldn't bend the rules (handed down by VWoA) to fix both of them at the same time, they'd only fix the one that was actually broken. So I had to come back a month later when the pass. side window broke. Other than that they were OK and I can't remember but I think every other service was free.
VWoA are a bunch of combusting rectums however. SWMBO got screwed out of an expensive heater core replacement on her Corrado even though the NHTSA web site said her car was covered by the recall (her core had actually failed; this wasn't a case where someone was trying to simply get a new core for insurance.)
I love VWs but my inclination is to stick with the 80's stuff and not take it to a dealership, ever.
nate
Nate Nagel turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

Something wrong with a Mexican car??
My Avalanche is Mexican. Seems fine so far. (Just under two years old and about 34,000 miles.)