Console Project nears completion.

Since adding the junkyard passenger seat to the driverside of my car I had about a 9 inch gap between the seats to fill up.

So, I built an extention to the existing floor console which runs from the heat duct under the dash to the front of the front seats.

The new console base is Red Oak, and is 25 inches long, 5.5 inches wide & 3/4 thick. First thing was to attach the original storage armrest from the old bench seat. This was accomplished by bolting in a 4 inch high, square U - shaped ( wooden ) support at the back of the console.

The front of the armrest which is typically supported by the seat cushion is now hanging in space. To support the front of the armrest, I first installed a T- Nut in the wood base. About a 7 inch long threaded rod is screwed into the T-Nut. A 1 & 1/2" diameter chrome plated tube from an old Electro-Lux Vacuum Cleaner is slid over the threaded rod. You never know when you might need some old Vacuum cleaner tube.

Anytime I use a hole saw I save the knock out circles. I got quite a few

3" diameter rounds sitting around waiting to be put to use.

A formica topped 3" round is added to the top of the chrome vacuum tube and a 5/16 stop nut is spun down on the threaded rod. I now have a firm support for the front of the armrest.

Lean On Me !

A 6" wide X 8" high X 3/4 thick wood block is bolted to the right front edge of the console. Its topped by a 3/4 Aluminum Angle Iron. This is the Multi Use Support Block.

Mainly it will be used to hold the CB radio during trips ( CB will stand verticle ). The CB Bracket will slip over the angle iron for a perfect snug fit. The angle iron is covered with green felt to quiet rattles or any vibrating. Two felt square are attached to the topside of the CB so the wood doesn't get marred.

The CB dials are the height of the top of the armrest and can easily be adjusted. The speaker faces the driver seat. I won't need to use the add on external speaker anymore. But one is mounted under the hood for when I use the PA setting.

Hey Buddy get out of the way !

I may later adapt other uses for this Multi Use Support Block, perhaps a writing surface or somehing else.

A liter basket sits under the rear portion of the armrest.

Between the gap of the U - Shape support for the armrest I have a 95 Cutlass Console rear sear courtesy light assembly mounted in place ( yet to be wired up ). This will help light up the footwell area in the back.

All the hardware used is either 1 & 1/2" or 2 " Cabinet Screws ( black in color ). The Red Oak Lumber is stained with MinWax Early American FInish and topped with MinWax Helmsman Spar Urethane.

Just to refresh your memory the front portion of the console ( made in the mid 90's ) is about 22" long, 10" wide. The side rails are 1 &1/2" high and 3/4" thick. On the left side of the side rail is 3" deep map pocket, Letters & such can also be placed in there as well. There is a felt lined pencil slot, and a comb slot - have you ever seen a guy comb his face sitting at a red light? ! LOL !

The side rails are covered with a contoured base board molding, I didn't want to look flat sides.

The right side rail has a T-Nut installed from the bottom, this is for the passenger side cup holder. A dual pen holder is mounted next to the cup holder. Two Bic Stick pens store vertically.

The driverside cup holder screws down on a T-Nut in the middle of the console base, which is covered with slate grey carpeting.

The floor vent discharge is in-line with the console. So air flow wasn't disrupted, two dowel rods are fitted at the front of the console between the left & right side rails. The dowel rods keeps objects from sliding out the front of the console during heavy braking, and many a time there IS heavy braking.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~287,629 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face