Consumer Reports: GM's Volt 'doesn't really make a lot of sense'

Page 5 of 6

A man was walking outside the sing sing and heard a lot of screaming. He went in and asked what was happening. We are executing a prisoner in an electric chair. And why all this screaming then? There is no electricity so we have to use a candle.
On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 07:47:07 -0500, "C. E. White"

Duh. Magazine pays $48,700 for a car with unproven leading edge technology and then says ""This is going to be a tough sell to the average consumer." Brilliant.

Or higher? First I heard it would exceed 40 miles on electric.

Duh. So would just about any gas-powered econo-car. The Volt is targeted at commuters who drive 40 miles or less per day.

Why would anybody who commonly drove more than 40 miles daily buy a Volt? Defeats the purpose of the Volt. Wait. I know who. Consumer Reports.

No shit. This is news?

Suckers. The real story is why they got a free Leaf and had to pay more than retail to buy a Volt to test. I have a feeling CR and GM don't have a good relationship. And what about the $7500 Fed tax credit?

That's what happens when you pay a $5000 dealer markup and don't claim your $7500 credit. What are these guys smoking?

If you are "annoyed" because a rechargeable battery has to be recharged, I question your sanity.

There's your real headline. "Almost Pissed my Pants Worrying About Being Stranded by Nissan Leaf!" Wonder why he didn't mention being "annoyed" by charging the Leaf.

Not when you pay $48,700 and get gas for $3.35. When you can buy the car for about $30k and gas is $5.00 then the logic changes. But reliability is yet to be proved too. We'll see.
--Vic
Your points are all valid IMHO Vic. I commute 14 mile to work, which would cost me $1.50ish in electricity a day and would only need gas every couple of months. I have a Highlander to use for everything other than my commute. The Volt makes perfect sense for me, and I am anxious for the price to come down a bit so I can afford one. HTH, Ben

If you payed $40K for that car, and amortized it on a straight line for 10 years, it would cost you nearly $11 per day. If you paid the actual $60+ thousand that the car is reputed to cost GM and the govt, it would be closer to $15 per day even if you just let it sit idle. Energy costs would be additional.
That seems a little expensive for a 14 mile per day commute.
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 07:36:15 -0800 (PST), ben91932

Before I retired my round-trip commute for 35 of 40 years working was less or equal than the Volt electric range. Had 2 1/2 years of a 75 mile round trip commute and 2 1/2 years of a 40 mile round trip commute. But there were also about 7 years of that when I lived in apartments where I couldn't plug in. Last 13 years the commute for both me and my wife has been about 12 miles round trip. I've read the "average" driver in the U.S. drives 32 miles a day. There's a real big market for the Volt with folks who have 2 cars and buy new - if the price comes down where it's comparable to an IC and the current gas price trends continue. I'll never have a Volt because I don't buy new cars or expensive cars. All but one of my cars have cost $2500 or less. But if it was in my nature to spend bucks on cars, I'd love to have a Volt and see how long I could avoid the gas station with it. Of course it's still not proven. CR was absolutely no help in that regard. The Volt and other electric cars kind of remind me of the history of successful technology like radios, TV's, color TV's, PC's, cell phones and cars themselves. Always people with the money to buy them and make the technology "happen" enough where the average Joe can afford one. Except for the early PC I've been a "late adopter." This is another innovation I'll sit out. Since I'm a bit long in the tooth doubt I'll ever have an electric. But since I'm always interested in cars, I find the Volt to be a pretty exciting development. Don't recall anything close to it with the potential of being a real automotive game-changer.
--Vic

******* Price is comparable to an IC now...or whenever they are fully marketed. Priced similar to a Lexus, maybe. I dont see the advantage for the price. And the risk...It is your money, you buy whatever you want.

****Son has a Honda Insight.. Claims to regularly get 60+ mpg, and recently claimed near 80. The Insight is old technology.

***** Of course it isnt.. Based on GM's past, I would definitely NOT pay $40-60K for a new product line from them. Have been hafted by them enough that I have learned that lesson.

thats a good plan except for the way car insurance works, you will have to pay for insurance for both vehicles and you will never save enough gas to cover that cost...... if the gov't wants us to start using commuter cars for commuting, they need to fix that problem.
Mark
On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 07:47:07 -0500, "C. E. White"

Since when was the Volt General Motors flagship vehicle?

Their Titanic maybe?

GM hit the iceberg a long time ago and sank last year.
Whatever you call GM now or any of their products they are trying to get back up again.
If the Volt is what is supposed to safe them they will surely have to scale down a bit.

I think that the only thing that will give GM a profit on this line of "vehicles" is that the Obama administration might force the post office or other groups to purchase a bunch of them at ridiculous prices.
This could force this ill begotten project to appear to work, again at the sacrifice of the tax payers.

It may not be their flagship, but they are certainly banking on it as the future of the company. That car-of-the-year award didnt hurt them any... Ben

I really doubt that many people even considered the COTY award as being significant. And I think the Volt is a smoke and mirrors exercise to improve GM's public aura.
With the Prius and others already in existence that can do more and better, I find it rather unimpressive.
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 07:39:56 -0800 (PST), ben91932

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 07:39:56 -0800 (PST), ben91932

You have to be kidding. GM is not banking on the Volt as the future of the company.

On 3/2/2011 4:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I will wait for the "watt", and luxo Cadillac version the "Kilo-watt". Maybe they will replace the Corvette with the "amp". But it still see great "resistance" from the general public. "Inductance" into the car hall of fame is doubtful. It will be helpful to have a large trunk "capacitance" for gear. When the electric owners get that large home electric bill, it will be "Power Factor" time in figuring out if its practical at all. Turning on the "AC" will have a whole new meaning.
bob

Folks had trouble accepting seat belts, fuel injection, air bags, disc brakes, radial tires etc While I find the resistance to EV's silly, I guess I should have expected it.. Ben
find the resistance to EV's silly, I guess I should have

True.. I dont resist them, really, as a concept. I resist them personally and I think that they are, at this time, a rather poor choice of technology. Why do I care at all? Because lurking in there, I know I will be paying a part of this.
wrote: [ . . . ]

[ . . . ]

-- To review, . . . GM management resisted applying electric car technology. They even made an electric car before, when the State of California demanded it, the EV 1, and scrapped it after they bought the state government out.
Toyota, and other foreign firms, have been developing electric cars, like the Prius, for years. When environmental concerns demanded electric cars they just went to work. They did not try to bribe the government so that they could continue business as usual.
-- Now, the situation is . . . GM is way behind the foreign car makers, in electric car technology. The used to be number one car maker, has gone bankrupt and tried to recover with government help. GM is still slipping.
-- There's a lesson here!

Yea, and the lesson is that Roger Coppock is dumb enough to respond seriously, to retarded spammers. Wake the frik up dude.