Consumer Reports: GM's Volt 'doesn't really make a lot of sense'

Page 6 of 6
wrote:

Lithium batteries are very sensitive to heat, and degrade quickly in high temperatures. In the summer, the Chevy Volt may very well get 40 miles per charge, at the expense of battery life, and high-capacity lithium battery packs are VERY expensive.
Other problems include the fact that China currently controls most of the world supply of lithium deposits, and also controls most lithium battery production. If electric cars do catch on, we will replace our dependence on Arab oil with dependence on Chinese lithium. At present, the U.S. electrical grid can't handle the load of tens of millions of electric cars charging at the same time, and even if it is upgraded, new power plants will have to be built to supply all the electricity. The idea that a few windmills and solar panels can produce enough electricity to power national transportation is pure fantasy, so the power will come from coal, natural gas, and nuclear.
One final thing to consider is that the U.S. has no coherent national energy policy, meaning we are unlikely to get the new grids or power plants we need for electric cars. For example, thanks to the drilling technique known as "frakking," the U.S. has a huge surplus of natural gas, and several terminals are under construction to liquefy the gas for export. Rather than using this natural gas to power vehicles or generate electricity, we are going to sell it to China, and use the money to buy even more oil from Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Venezuela. We let the energy companies destroy the U.S. environment while drilling for gas, and we still wind up being dependent on foreign oil. This is so outrageous it should be criminal.

http://detnews.com/article/20110228/AUTO01/102280401/Consumer-Reports--GM 's-Volt-'doesn't-really-make-a-lot-of-sense'
The cost of electricity in CT is hovering around $0.25 a KWH, so cost savings is virtually nil for this vehicle. Add to that that 50% of electrical generation in this country is generated through burning coal, the carbon footprint savings are marginal, at best. A hybrid makes much more sense.

No kidding, a proper EV is about 4 miles per KWh (250Wh per mile), that makes 16 miles per dollar for you. Current gas prices mean a 50MPG vehicle is about 15 miles per dollar.

Hardly stellar considering the price tag for making a more simple vehicle.
Stewart wrote:

Average KWH cost in the U.S. is 12 cents. http://energybible.com/solar_energy/electric_rates-by-state.html Nobody really cares about how "clean" the GM VOLT is. Except for CT residents, nobody cares that people are stuck in CT. Coal plants aren't a problem as long as the prevailing westerlies continue to drop most of the acid rain on the libs in CT. GM is a right wing company. As you can see from the above electric rate chart, their target market isn't the left-wing "Blue" states with high electric rates.
Their main goal with the Volt is to piss off the lib suckers in CT and other "Blue" states who are paying high electric costs by making them jealous when they see a Volt, and turn them into supporters of nuke power generation. Then with more nuke plants they will sell even more Volts. Ciao!

It may take some time to get feedback because not that many have been sold
Volt: 281 February 321 January 326 December