control arm bushing replacement questions

I have 97 C1500 1/2 ton 2wd with a 305.

I need to replace the control arm bushings on my truck due to a shimmy in the front end, I know this is the problem because I am able to move them loosely without much resistance whatsover.

Firstly, I have heard that Moog products are the best, however there are others available with lifetime warranties, do I really need this brand?

Secondly, should I replace all 8 while they are off, two on top on each side and two on bottom on each side. I want this problem resolved and not have to monkey with it again for another 75,000 miles.

Lastly, what is the easiest way to replace these, I know how to disassemble the whole shooting match, however I do not want to bend the A frame trying to push these out. Would a heavy duty C clamp and an extremely large socket do the trick? It will be difficult getting to the auto parts store with my only source of transportation up on jackstands, so I want to make sure I have all of my ducks in a row before I dive in.

Thanks TM

Reply to
TM

Shep

I did this job not long ago on all the control arm bushings on an '85 1/2 ton Chevy pickup. You'll need a_heavy_and large bench vise and a couple of sockets. One big enough in inside diameter to let the bushing push into it. One with an outside diameter that closely matches the outside diameter of the bushing. Pretty much self explanatory. Not a bad job at all. A C clamp will not have enough grunt. The bushings are in there tighter than that. Be advised that there's a real good chance that you'll need a front end alignment after putting the control arms with new bushings back in the truck. It'll sure tighten up the ride, too.

Reply to
gfulton

I had a feeling that I was chasing a phantom problem with this one so I purchased the lifetime alignment. I have no plans on selling the truck in the next 5 or so years. Sure enough the bushings did not solve the problem. I'm sure the guys at Firestone are gonna get tired of seeing me coming in there and not spending any money.

TM

Reply to
TM