Conversion to E85

If a person was wanting to convert their vehicle, in my case a 97' C1500 with a MPFI 305 V-8, to function on E85, what would be required to make this
a flexible fuel vehicle?
Thanks, TM
It would be more cost effective to buy a newer vehicle.
mike hunt

TM wrote:

It depends on where you are at. In the US its a violation of Federal Law to to convert it. If you get caught you feed the lawyers kids for a long, long time. Otherwise, just replace every gasket, rubber, and plastic part in the engine and fuel system with ones that won't deteriorate. Also the injectors, filters, etc. The vehicle will have to be tuned and the computer reprogrammed. Hopefully the acids will not eat the aluminum parts out of the engine. You could buy a new vehicle for about 1/3 of what it would cost you to re-do yours.
Guess that will convince me to just convert it to run on hydrogen and/or gasoline instead, as I can do that for under $1000 parts and labor, maybe a couple of hundred more for a larger storage tank. That would be the most cost effective route, I can also crack hydrogen at home for pennies a day using solar power and an electrolyzer.
TM

TM wrote:

Only one practical way to do it. Find a pats vehicle the same vintage that was E85 capable and take off the entire fuel system and computer and swap it (if it was even available that year). Keep in mind there was some extra hardware to sense the type of fuel and a different computer programing to run it.
With Ethanol prices going through the roof with the EPA removal of banned fuel additives, E85 is not the bargain it was. It used to be 10 to 20 cents cheaper a gallon in the Midwest. No more. That may change in the future as more ethanol plants come on line, but not in the near term.
Bob .
-