convertible top problem

I just finished a 3 year restoration on a 1963 Impala Convertible and on the first trip out I rolled down my window and the vinyl top rattles big time with top frame. I believe I stretched it enough (this was a bitch of a job). It was so loud the sound was almost deafening. This is the second top I have put on and I think it came out pretty good. The 67 Plymouth I did does not have this issue. I would like some feedback from you seasoned veterans. Is this a problem with the old Chevy's or the material? did I do something wrong? maybe it needs to be stretched more? TIA Greg

Reply to
pnsman64

Is there excess material flapping as you drive to cause all the noise.?

Where exactly is the nosie coming from? Front, rear, middle, sides or around the window curtain?

Was it extremely windy out the day you went for your ride?

Tops are generally heated with a heat gun during installation, stretched, then tacked into place. When the material cools down and the material shrinks up its supposed to be taut all the way around the frame.

Were there any of those listening pockets installed on the inside of the top material? They connect to the second cross bow, I believe.

Hope this helps.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 34,255 91 Bonneville LE 306,010
Reply to
Harry Face

Harryface I never heard of the use of a heat gun during installation? The noise is coming from the whole top bouncing off the top rails that run from side to side. Yes it was a bit windy that day but not extremely windy. I do not understand what you say about listening pockets. Greg

Reply to
pnsman64

Greg,

Are the side cables attached ? They run from the front corner of the header bow, thought the sides of the top and connect to the rear part of the top frame just above the quarter window. The cable ends are held in by a sheet etal screw. The cables are what keeps the top taut along the side rails.

The listening pockets are glued on the inside of the roof and go from side to side. They are above the cross bows. Some are connected to crossbow # 1and 2, but more commonly just the # 1 bow.

They also help prevent rattles & flapping.

Rock the top back about 20 inches and look to see if the cables are attached.

Good Luck

Harryface ( using a friends webtv, mine died )

Reply to
Lorraine

Yes Harryface I have installed new cables when I put the top on. The #1 and #2 Bars do have that felt like material I believe you are calling the listening pockets. I now fear I may have to undo the header strip and stretch this top material another 1/2 inch or so. I almost thought/hoped this would be common with this old car?

Greg

Reply to
pnsman64