Coolant leaking in engine

The silicates (basically SAND) in standard antifreeze are also a significant contributor to coolant caused engine failure. Back before the silicate compatible antifreeze came about (before aluminum engines) antifreeze in the oil was more of an inconvenience than a problem.

Reply to
clare

Joseph A. Zupko

I bought a warranty with the car from a 3rd party company. It covers powertrain, as well as all seals and gaskets. It is a 12,000 km or 12 month warranty. Hope that answers your question.

Reply to
KDawg

that working out for ya well? I know of a couple people who bought used cars/trucks and had 3rd party extended and it was a big hassle to submit claims, required pay-out and then reimbursment from the warranty co. and most dealers wouldn't do the work, which left them to the after market repair shops like Pep Boys, etc...

Unless you're buying a vehicle with a history of troubles, the aftermarket extended warranty, as well as the MFG's extended warranty is like buying insurance at the black jack table; a sucker's bet...

but that's MHO, YMMV natch!

Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

Reply to
munir

Well it seems to have payed off this time. It was only a 12,000 km warranty, and that can go by very quickly. I was lucky that this problem happened now and not in another 1500 km, because that's about all I have left. I paid about 300 Canadian for the warranty, and I made sure it included seals and gaskets. I went for the warranty becuase of the age of the car. It is a 94, and I have heard of problems with the intake manifold gaskets with the 3.1 engines, and sure enough, that is exactly what failed.

The last warranty I got was just a basic powertrain, and did not cover seals and gaskets, and of course I had a head gasket problem, and it wasn't covered.

So if you are going to go for the warranty, my advice would be to spend the extra 50 bucks or whatever it is and make sure you upgrade to include seals and gaskets.

There were absolutely no problems with the warranty company. The garage dealt with them, and all I have to pay is a $100 deductible. I am definitely thinnking about extending the warranty for another 12,000 km. Especially after having water in the oil, there could be some damage to the engine that may not become evident for another 10,000 km or so.

Regards, KDawg

Reply to
KDawg

Reply to
Joseph A. Zupko

I would stop driving it now. By the time you are seeing milky stuff on the dipstick your oil is part oil, part water. The extra wear on bearings, etc. can be severe.

John

Reply to
John Horner

The name of mine is Lubrico Warranty, I am pretty sure they are available North America wide. There was no hassles with them, and I would recommend them to anyone. My previous warranty company was called Global Warranty, and I had a bad experience with them.

Reply to
KDawg

Thanks for the response. I have had the repair done, and it seems to be fine now.

Reply to
KDawg