Cooling Fan behavior on 94' Chevy Corsica 3100

My 94' Corsica 3100, now heats to about 3/4 all the time when idling, and works it way back down to 1/2 (thermostat opens?) and it is the dead of winter here. The fan does not come on, even if I turn on A/C. I took it
to my mechanic who did the replace the valve cover and manfold gaskets, and he told me it is normal. He had put a new thermostatand cooling sensor on it, but told me the it is too cold outside for the fan to come on yet even with the A/C on. Granted it is 20 degrees out right and has not be above freezing in a month. He told me the fan will come on with the A/C and resume normal operation in the spring and summer. Wondering if your car is the same way ?
Thanks
Well the a/c will not work in temps below freezing so the fan will not operate. A scanner will tell you if the temp reaches about 222 which should trigger the cooling fans.