cooling fans

I have a 1994 Buick regal and only one cooling fan will kick on when the engine gets hot.
I have tried turning the defrosters on and the air to see if they both kick
on but only one will.
I was told that the other cooling fan will only kick on at a higher temperature. Is this true or is there something wrong with one of the cooling fans?
Thanks for any help!
steven mantas wrote:

That is true.
Ian