Cop cars reborn: Big 3 market new cruisers for boys in blue

Cop cars reborn: Big 3 market new cruisers for boys in blue

Jim_Higgins

Strangely enough the cops up here in Canada are increasingly using F150s.

Rear wheel drive has less issues when under hard use. Bet they bring them back for those discontinuing them. Get a little torque steer from FWD cars and it kills a few cops they will stop buying.

Had torque steer issues once, they could never fix it right.

Reply to
Canuck57

FWD GM cars just aren't built strong, at least the Impalas need an alignment every year otherwise they kill tires

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The Pennsylvania State Police use some unmarked FWD cars for detective and investigative duties but they are restricted to that type of work. FWD cars can not be used as pursuit vehicles. Back in the days of the federal "55 Alive" program the State police were given Ford and GM FWD cars to enforce the federally imposed 55 MPH limit. Troopers died, and were injured in high speed pursuits, hence the bad on FWD cars as pursuit vehicles.

When I owned my fleet service business we sold mostly Fords to State Police Departments, about eight to one, but many of the smaller local departments switched to the less expensive GM and Chrysler units, only to discover the much more expensive maintenance and repair costs of FWD vehicle negated the $2,500 purchase price advantage, and the majority switched back to the Interceptor in a few years. My guess is Pennsylvania will go with the AWD Interceptor because of Ford much better service record vis a vs. GM and Chrysler police cars. The state does not buy import brand or imported vehicles.

Mike

Our CT town has one of the five or so vehicles. I've seen other towns putting an SUV on the road, handy for winter use. None are using them 100% though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Personally, i think Ford screwed the Pooch when then discontinued the CV with no RWD replacement in the works. The AWD Taurus may look good on paper, but i am dubious of its long term durability.

Ford somehow needs to leverage there F150 underpinnings and drive-line into some kind of hybrid RWD car. If they did this, they would not have to build a new plant and have an entirely new platform. Maybe the Been counters at Ford have figured the police market is too small to bother with. Or liability too high.

Chevy seems to have seen the light and is going into the direction of satisfying where the CV left off. On paper, it looks like they did there homework. Time will tell...

bob

Reply to
bob u

Ford currently offers the Explorer as a "Security" vehicle but not as a "certified police vehicle." Ford will offer the new Explorer derived "Interceptor 2" as a certified police vehicle as well, since it is built on the same chassis as the new AWD "Interceptor." Ford has a half dozen running around with the Flex body. The problem for the police only GM Caprice is, it is going to be built by Holden and imported. That seems strange since GM already has several cars, based on that RWD chassis, that they build over here.

Reply to
Mike

The new AWD Interceptor is basically a built up SHO, that outperforms the RWD Interceptor in every test including handling. You are correct that the build and maintenance costs will be greater than a RWD chassis.

Reply to
Mike

Both the GTO and the G8 are sadly no more... am I missing something?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel