Corvette Lovers Lament GM's Rocky Ride

Take A Short Ride Through Corvette History [slideshow]
All Things Considered, June 3, 2009 · As it begins to restructure, General Motors says it has "100 percent confidence" in its Corvette line, and it will continue to make the iconic sports car that has seduced drivers for more than five decades.

But many so-called "Vette heads" are deeply pained that the maker of their beloved macho cars has been brought to its knees.

"It hurts," says Terri Partridge, president of Massachusetts' South Shore Corvette Club. "You hate to see it happen."

Partridge is one of dozens of club members joined by their passion and lust for their Vettes.

"I fell in love years ago, basically as a kid," says club member Steve Boyajian. "And when you get older, you finally say, 'You know, I think it's time. Before I die, I want to own a Corvette.' "

Boyajian is the kind of guy who helped propel GM into the giant it was for decades, selling cars ? and dreams ? to drivers of all ages.

"It's the feeling you get when you are driving it," says Partridge, who just celebrated his 70th birthday. "You never get old driving this thing!" His corvette has massive blue flames painted onto the white background, and his license plate reads "HOT 1."

These are guys with way more invested in their cars than the sticker price.

John Zofchak souped up his first Corvette with everything from a custom paint job and vertical-lift doors, to transmission work, body work, brake work, shock work and suspension work. "I always do a little customizing to the car, so I am a little part of the car as well," he says.

Indeed, who wouldn't want to see themselves in the iconic American hot rod?

The Corvette was always the car that couldn't be beat ? the epitome of pride and power.

"No question about it: It all comes from power," Boyajian says. "When you step on that thing, that thing can respond, and smoke the tires, and shoot out of that hole. Oh yeah, that's definitely something!"

"My car is so powerful," cracks Zofchak, pointing to his 638-horsepower ZR1, "it requires my girlfriend to wear a sports bra."

No wonder so many of these guys are having a hard time seeing the once-dominant GM, the creator of the ultimate American muscle car, now on its knees.

"We can't let General Motors go," Boyajian says. "That's letting America go, if you let General Motors go. I mean, it's a way of life."

"It's an American icon," adds Paul Lesogor. "It's, like, unbelievable to think that we'd lose them. It's crazy. It just doesn't seem right."

Most of these folks believe that GM will recover. But many worry that what saves the company might also spoil its appeal. Zofchak says he would be sad to see more cars that might sway drivers' minds but not their hearts.

"You're going to see a lot more smaller cars, more efficient cars being built," he says. "Is it what people want? No. But it's what they're going to be able to afford."

If people end up driving cars that are practical but that don't inspire passion, Zofchak laments, "a car is going to be nothing more than a piece of transportation.

"Maybe that's all it should be," he adds. "Who knows?"

It all leaves members of this Corvette club wondering what kind of car clubs their kids will join. As one put it, GM has become more like the Japanese carmakers. But 30 years from now, he says, "who's going to want to collect Toyota Scions?"

Reply to
Jim Higgins

I own a Corvette that I bought new, and they're nothing to brag about. Vettes could die and I wouldn't shed a tear.

There is nothing sacred about a Vette or any other automobile.

Electric cars are the way to go. TONS more torque and a lot better for the environment.

Technology marches on. I know many people, to this day, who still miss steam fired locomotives. It doesn't mean they should still be in widespread service.

Reply to
Rick_LT1

With all due respect, that is your opinion. Obviously, many other Corvette owners think otherwise. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you think of a automobile as just a way from point A to point B. To many, autos are still something to take pride in. In 20 years, your Corvette (if still in good shape) will be worth quite a bit of cash.

The technology for both the car itself, and the tech for the charging of it's batteries isn't in place yet, but perhaps some day it will be.

If all automobiles were electric, I could see a point to not needing a fuel powered Corvette (or any other model), however, since most vehicles are still fuel powered, I don't think you're comparison is relevant. No offence intended, again.

Reply to
80 Knight

BO will have GM build the ultimate electric car, a wind driven generator on top to supply the electricity LOL

Reply to
Mike

Of course. I apologize for coming off more harshly than I intended.

Indeed! Corvettes have a rich history, and they do have a devoted following, no question about it.

Unless it's a "classic" that's pretty accurate. As I've aged, and cars have become more bland, I do tend to view them in a more utilitarian light.

It currently has less than 16k miles so here's hoping. :)

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing vettes or any other car. I like my vette a lot and it is fun to take out and "exercise" every once in a while.

I'm curious as well about how well the engines in the new ZR-1's hold up. Seems like trying to get 427 CID out of a Chevy small block is asking too much. Time will tell, though.

I guess I view cars like Corvettes much like motorcycles. Sure they're fun when you can use them, but, living in the Chicago area, they tend to spend most of their time doing little more than taking up space.

I'm hopeful. I anticipate the Volt will crash and burn even if it does make it to the showroom. You're right, though, the tech doesn't seem to be there yet. Tesla is fun to watch, though.

None taken, and I agree with you that my analogy doesn't quite make the grade.

I often wonder, though, why diesel electric locomotives are in widespread use, and yet similar tech can't be scaled down to an auto. I'm sure it's something like cost or another obvious thing I'm missing, but it still bugs me.

Again, my apologies for coming off as a sourpuss.

Reply to
Rick_LT1