Crossthreaded

I got a new screw in sensor that fits in the top of the engine block. When I unscrewed the old one I found the previous "mechanic" (no it wasn't me) had put the old one in crossthreaded. Now when I try to put
the new one in, the threads lock up and I've started to strip the threads on the new one. I was fortunate to get the old one back in to plug the coolant from leaking (I hope it doesn't let go on me). Where do I go from here, besides to a garage. Is there a way to straighten up the threads in the engine block? The new sensor is brass. The engine block is iron or cast iron. anybody?

Take the car to a shop and get a heli coil put in. Pretty cheap.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You might be able to get a tap of the same thread pitch and chase out the threads. If there too far gone, its heli coil time.
bob

News==----http://www.pronews.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

thanks, I found a good garage and they're going to retap it. fingers crossed.