Cruise Conrtol Dropping Out

Car: 1995 Monte Carlo Z34, 3.4L DOHC Problem: Cruise Control Drops Out

My cruise control keeps dropping out. Cannot reproduce. Sometimes it happens when I use the turn signal, but not everytime. Most times it just drops out without me doing anything. Sometimes, if I shut the car off and then back on again it will work for a little while longer.

Before I go through the agony of diagnosing the problem by following the steps in the factory manual, are there any common problems I should know about?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Just my 2 cents, but check your vacuum lines. The cruise control on my Chevy S-10 had a similar problem and one of the vacuum lines was cracked. Rick

Reply to
Hillou812

That's where I was going to start, but I feared it. Now I have to diagnose an intermittant electrical problem, my favorite.

Wait a minute. You say the brake switch heats up and it kicks out. Using the signal light puts more load on the circuit does it not? Would using the turn signal put enough load on it to kick it out?

Oh, and it has kicked out when I used the tilt once or twice. I will check a few things tomorrow and report back.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I don't believe this partically model of cruise control is vacuum operated. But, I will take a look.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie