Cubans in a floating 1959 Buick

GM quality.
----- <http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040204_1437.html
Cubans Who Tried to Reach Florida on Truck-Boat Make Another Attempt With
Floating Car
The Associated Press
MIAMI Feb. 4 Two Cubans who tried to sail to Florida in a truck converted to a pontoon boat last year are making another attempt, this time piloting a seagoing 1950s-era Buick with four other adults and five children, relatives said. ...
The Miami Herald said the 1959 Buick was nearly halfway to Key West by Tuesday evening. Key West is 90 miles from Havana, but it was not immediately clear where on Cuba the group had set out to sea.
The Buick's doors had been sealed to keep water out and it was powered by its original V-8 motor, said Eduardo Perez Grass, who was among those on the earlier attempt to reach the United States on the floating truck. ...
The Chevy pickup they used then was kept afloat by empty 55-gallon drums attached to the bottom as pontoons. A propeller attached to the drive shaft pushed it along at about 8 mph.
After the Coast Guard intercepted them about 40 miles off Key West, the pickup was sunk to keep it from becoming a hazard to other vessels.
Everyone who was returned to Cuba after the modified truck voyage had since applied for permission to immigrate legally to the United States. But Luis Grass and Ariel Diego were the only two people whose requests were being considered by American consular officials here. ...
There is a goldmine of 50's vintage US-brand automobiles and trucks in Cuba. The people there still drive those old vehicles...most all US brands from GM, Chrysler and Ford.
| GM quality. | | ----- | <http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040204_1437.html | | Cubans Who Tried to Reach Florida on Truck-Boat Make Another Attempt With | Floating Car | | The Associated Press | | | MIAMI Feb. 4 Two Cubans who tried to sail to Florida in a truck | converted to a pontoon boat last year are making another attempt, this | time piloting a seagoing 1950s-era Buick with four other adults and five | children, relatives said. | ... | | The Miami Herald said the 1959 Buick was nearly halfway to Key West by | Tuesday evening. Key West is 90 miles from Havana, but it was not | immediately clear where on Cuba the group had set out to sea. | | The Buick's doors had been sealed to keep water out and it was powered by | its original V-8 motor, said Eduardo Perez Grass, who was among those on | the earlier attempt to reach the United States on the floating truck. | ... | | | The Chevy pickup they used then was kept afloat by empty 55-gallon drums | attached to the bottom as pontoons. A propeller attached to the drive | shaft pushed it along at about 8 mph. | | After the Coast Guard intercepted them about 40 miles off Key West, the | pickup was sunk to keep it from becoming a hazard to other vessels. | | Everyone who was returned to Cuba after the modified truck voyage had | since applied for permission to immigrate legally to the United States. | But Luis Grass and Ariel Diego were the only two people whose requests | were being considered by American consular officials here. | ...
Damn ! I forgot about the Cubans driving 50's vintage cars. I guess I'll have to keep my car till 2041 to tie Castro's boys.
LOL
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Joe Blow wrote in alt.autos.gm

Man, I always knew dad's buick was a boat, but this is ridiculous.
--
Dick #1349
"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

LOL!! Great one!
Rick
The Associated Press
MIAMI Feb. 4 Two Cubans who tried to sail to Florida in a truck converted to a pontoon boat last year are making another attempt, this time piloting a seagoing 1950s-era Buick with four other adults and five children, relatives said.
<snipped>
Everyone who was returned to Cuba after the modified truck voyage had since applied for permission to immigrate legally to the United States. But Luis Grass and Ariel Diego were the only two people whose requests were being considered by American consular officials here. ...
They are probably being considered for high level jobs with the U.S. Navy's advanced watercraft programs.

if you saw the photo, maybe they are. If they got the thing floated close enough for the USCG to care to interdict them after all, why not but that knowledge to good use?
Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)