Damn cell phones

Page 3 of 4

I'm sorry, perhaps you didn't read what I was responding to. Obviously you can't pay attention. Thank you.
You shouldn't be bragging about saving a drunk driver...due to your stupidity, someone will die for that.
Sijuki wrote:

Sean Dinh wrote:

judge and jury

Are those convictions as bad as being a victim?
WhyDoYouAsk wrote:

<much snippage>...

mean
police
down
find
road
Sorry I wasn't more clear. By "vehicle-specific", I was referring to line-of-sight, as in you aim the gun at a single vehicle at a time and only that vehicle is affected. Apparently, the device required no codes unique to a given make/model -- it acted on any ignition.
The cop community was also toying with the idea of using a low-profile (it was rather flat!) rocket-propelled cart which accomplished the same thing. It would reside under the front bumper of the cop car. When needed, the pursuing cop would release it and send it speeding under the offending vehicle, whereby it would send an EMP burst up under the car and knock out the ignition. I saw this one demonstrated on a tv news broadcast a few years back. Another EMP design involves a portable or permanent disc in the road. The offending vehicle drives over it and bam! The cops flip a switch and the suspect's ignition is dead.
Anyhoo, I was only joking about actually putting this technology in the hands of civilians.
Ray L. Volts wrote:
<snip>

Rocket propelled carts being launched by police cars in pursuit? There's a low risk set up! Would the cart be tethered to the police car? Have it's own guidance system? Sounds like a low powered torpedo with wheels!
What's the range of an EMP sufficient to shut down a car, e.g., anybody nearby going to get shutdown as well?
IMHO hands free cell phones don't address the real problem, i.e., diverting the driver's attention if the call gets "complicated".

(it
There's
=YESHave it's own guidance system? Sounds like a low powered torpedo with wheels!

==Nope, only the car it is UNDER

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of the responsible organization if such a device got implemented and "El~Kayieeda" got their hands on it while Dick Cheney was driving along in a motorcade........
"Today, The Newly Elected President Was Killed When His Pacemaker Was Shut Off Accidentally By Law Enforcement Officials..."
Either that or a trial lawyer...
I say let an NGO handle the cell phone issue. Too many laws on the books as it is.

Don't tease me like that.
TM

the
vehicle
only
unique
(it
thing.
out
The
=======You would just make it worse because they would be trying to figure out what happened to the phone and calling the person back...all the while not watching the road. ==============

You waste your airtime on useless calls? The only people that get my cell number are people I want to reach me.
Happy modeming, Bill
I don't use a home phone, I spend most of my time away from home. So I feel a cell phone is somewhat useful. However it does not require me to take your call when you call me. I am still allowed to use discretion. If I don't feel like calling someone back right away, I don't. Having a cell phone doesn't make me instantly accessible to anyone who wants to get a hold of me, it makes me instantly accessible to whoever I want to get a hold of. I control when I use it, and how I use it.
Seriously, when you drive, you pay attention to the road. If you take on the responsibility of doing something else while you are driving that becomes your problem. If you can't multitask and you cause a problem, then frankly you must pay for it. Much like no one made a law that you couldn't cook, watch the kids, and talk on the phone at home because you might knock the pot of boiling water onto your kid when you got the cord wrapped around it. Much like it isn't against the law to change the radio station, or change cd's, or anything else. It becomes something that we need to teach people responsibility. Not a law. Laws don't make things better, or safer, or any of that crap. Responsibility for ones own actions is the key.
I see people everyday that are talking on their cell phones, braking on the freeway for no reason, or cutting someone off, or some other stupid action. I still don't think a blanket law will help that. Laws just complicate life even more. We have too many laws. Everyones quick solution to everything is make a law. Laws don't make the world safe. If you want to make a change, start by teaching your kids.

berkshire bill wrote:

for some reason telemarketers dont call cell phones, or at least mine. ive got virgin mobile, and it costs nothing to check my voicemail from my home phone.

he never said he answered the phone, but with it being off, I thought that would be a given.
TM

Firearms sound like the answer then,
widely available, widely used and only $0.45 per "use"
:-)
Full_Name wrote:

Now this is the sort of clear thinking we need more of in DC! ;)

Lemme guess - you're in favor of banning conversations between driver and passenger(s) too, right? If not, you better be since there is no difference.
These geniuses in legislation have everyone so brainwashed that "cell phones" are bad and cause all these accidents.
What will their excuse be when they get all their laws passed and realize that it affected nothing?
Ahh, it's not worth it. Too many people just don't get it and refuse to take their blinders off.

You have to dial your passengers? Cool! And you can make 'em shut up with the "end" button? Cooler!
--
BT

I think that you need control of the privacy glass for full effect ;-)

"cone of silence" ala Get Smart!
Mir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)