dash lights on 89 park ave

Hey guys,

For some reason, the fuse for the dash lights keeps blowing out on my 89 park avenue. It'll work fine for a day, or even a week, then it'll bloe the fuse. There's nothing else on the curcuit but the dash lights (which is a bit of a blessing really), and it's only listed to have a 5 amp fuse on it.

Is this a common problem on these cars, and what should I be looking for? is it just a short in the wiring, or does this car have the "circut board" for the lighting in the dash?

It's the stock, cheapie dash, by the way (no tach, no digital).

Also, I have a good dash from a 90 park avenue (analog, with the tach, oil pressure and volt-meter) that's gathering dust in a dead 90 park ave, is it possible to swap the dashes? (and make everything work, of course). I get nervous driving around trusting those idiot lights...

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
havok1977

The dash is probably a printed circut, this is not a common problem, but can be a tough one to repair, once circut board is removed / unplugged hard to test.

As for the conversion, get the temp and oil pressure senders from the dead car. Your probably better off changing the fusebox and wiring harness from the dead car. taillight harness should plug in dead car's fusebox ok. My knowledge stops at 84 Chevy, but generally going from one model year to another isn't * that * bad. Gets ugly when putting similar model, built by another division's electrical parts in. Some color codes differ.

Reply to
451ctds