day time lights

Page 1 of 11
I have a 96 Buick LeSabre and would like to add daytime running lights. I see some cars have them but this one dose not. Is this a simple thing I can
do? or do I need to by some kind of wiring kit?
TIA

If the car has automatic headlights, the fastest, cheapest way to accomplish this is to simply put a piece of electrical tape over the light sensor so the car thinks it's always night.
Tim J. wrote:

Hi...
If you go that way, remember that will turn on all the lights, and the headlights at full brilliance.
Perhaps most annoying will be that it also turns on the dash lamps, so during daylight you'll not be able to read any of the displays, like the radio, etc.
Take care.
Ken
the manual says for cars in Canada only. This makes me think it must be wired for it but only needs the module to make them work.

Very often that is the case. There are also aftermarket units.
I called my local dealer to see if I could get some information from them. The service manager told me he could not help me to look for something but had to bring it in and have them diagnose it cost $125. I said forget I will call another dealer but never did.

He's full of shit. How do you diagnose a non-existant problem? All you want is an add-on. Do they have to do a diagnosis to sell you floor mats, too? Call another dealer. This time, do NOT talk to the service department. Ask for the parts department instead.
I have purchased three new cars and two used ones from this dealer. The last one was three months ago. I total this car when a idiot pulled in front of me and guess what the replacement was purchased somewhere else.

If one did a search of the US Senate investigation of hazarders presented by DRLs, they may discover that they would not want DRLs.
If one feels they are "safer" operating with lights doing daylight they should simply turn on their headlamps, which will negate the negative effects of DRLs, yet still illuminate their vehicle for others ;)
mike

What are the hazards presented by DRL's?
The only problem that I know of is when one approaches a military guard post they want you to turn off your head lights.

Briefly and just a representative sample off the top of my head:
1. Glare in the eyes of others causes a momentary distraction that takes the other drivers eyes off of other inputs such as other cars, pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists, objects in the road and the road itself. 2. When a DRL car is behind another car, in addition to the distraction, that driver can be perceived as being overly aggressive (especially if tailgating). Road Rage, anyone? 3. Masking of other objects to where you can't see them 4. Causing an inequality in the viewing of multiple cars on the roadway. A lit or non-lit car might stand out more, but the inequity causes one to be seen more than the other, when in fact all should be seen equally for proper road safety. 5. Motorcycles do not stand out like they should, another example of masking by the lights 6. The extra lights cause irritation to drivers more sensitive to light 7. Added confusion with drivers over what is actually a safety feature as opposed to a fad. This leads to folks driving around with DRLs, fog lights, brights and even fogs and brights because they think more is safer, more aggressive, more cool or whatever inane reason (I just read a post on another list of someone who wanted to run with their headlights and DRLs on at all times, why?). Don't get me started on HID lights, geeeze.
Cheers,
Larry

I would highly suggest you begin to wear sunglasses whenever driving a vehicle. Or, better yet. Don't drive at all. I don't want someone driving behind me who is distracted by "shiny things".

Wow :). Already have sunglasses and know how to use them, I also have an auto dimming mirror and drive 30K miles a year.
At least I am not driving around with my lights on in broad daylight, LOL, get real. Anyway, I can't believe that you are so adamant to actually want to do that all the time.
-------------------------------
Some more reasons to add to my hazards list:
8. Funerals - People have gotten to the point where they can't tell which cars are in the funeral procession. Just recently a motorcycle escort rider was killed when a car attempted to dart through a procession and ran him over. 9. People driving with their lights on during the day look stupid, seriously. A hazard to your image, LOL. 10. Emergency vehicles have to compete with all the added lights, leading to times when a person might not realize that they are there. Obviously this can cause a delay in response or in the worst case an accident. 11. Many DRLs will look like a turn signal when glanced at by another driver, leading to issues with lane changes and manuevers that could be detrimental
Mike and Knight, all you can come up with is to tell people to wear sunglasses and try to act as if Sharon is an idiot. You guys are out of steam and the conversation was just getting good. It is not looking good for you here.
Cheers,
Larry
Larfx wrote:

I got to agree with the above poster, the DRL's just piss me off, you ever end up at a intersection when the guy across from you has those damn things on? I wouldn't buy a car that had DRL's
wrote in message

I could not care less about DRL's but you guys who are on such a rant about them are ridiculous. These "reasons" and "evidence" and "hazards" you guys have posted is not even up to the level of weak. When it comes to the competition of this discussion, you and Sharon never even got out of the starting gate. The both of you are funny, but certainly nothing to take seriously.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Quote: "These "reasons" and "evidence" and "hazards" you guys > have posted is not even up to the level of weak."
That's a matter of perspective, like actually believing that driving around with headlights on in broad daylight is a good idea and that it somehow makes driving "safer", even though theres a mountain of evidence to the contrary. Ask the Bulgarians, where the proof is a mountain of DEAD BODIES: http://www.lightsout.org/bulgaria07.html

Wow, that is the most lame piece of "evidence" I've ever seen.
a.. December 2006 (DRLs): 93 deaths. 2006-1996 (no DRLs): 79, 79, 81, 88, 62, 103, 98, 86, 84, 79. (Third place, and we've broken the record for last 6 years)
How is 93 deaths greater than 103 or 98?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

source data and see the rate declining every year until 2006, when the death rate took a dramatic leap (with DRLs). See the actual chart at: http://dadrl.hit.bg /

I used the numbers you provided. If you ever studied statistics, you'd know that there is not enough evidence there to call it proof "with a mountain of dead bodies."
Here is another group from your provision November 2006 (DRLs): 93 deaths. 2006-1996 (no DRLs): 80, 94, 74, 91, 102, 101, 88, 68, 83, 85. (Third place).
How is the numerical sequence declining? Look at that 101 and 102 in the middle surrounded by all those lower numbers. Three of the numbers are greater than 93. They support nothing.
on Friday 31 August 2007 02:46 am, someone posing as Edwin Pawlowski took a rock and etched into the cave:

Well, that was an informative site:
НЕНУЖНО ВКЛЮЧЕНИТЕ СВЕТЛИНИ - МНИМА СИГУРНОСТ ЗА ЕДНА ГРУПА УЧАСТНИЦИ В ДВИЖЕНИЕТО, ЗА СМЕТКА ЖИВОТА НА ОСТАНАЛИТЕ! Дружеството на офталмолозите в Австрия отрече Daytime Running Lights (6 юни 2007). След две години DRL експеримент в Австрия, Дружеството на офталмолозите в Австрия отрече и осъди ненужното използване на светлините на превозните средства... Под надслов „Включените светлини спасяват живот” през август 2006 Европейската комисия по транспорт и енергетика издаде официална препоръка към страните от Еврозоната да задължат участниците в пътното движение да използват светлините на превозните средства като мярка за сигурност. Това щяло да помогне на всички своевременно да се забелязват и като резултат - да намали общия брой загинали при пътни инциденти с 5% до 15% - ефективност, която не е постигната дори с въвеждането на обезопасителни колани!
I'm not sure what to make of this. Something about beer?
Is 7:00AM too early for beer?
Oh, wait - I'm at work.
Nevermind.
--