day time lights

Sharon,

1- I had a 1999 Canadian built American car called a Chevy Cavalier with standard DRLs. Could you tell me how mny gallons of gas I've wasted because of my DRLs over a 7 year period?

2- Personally I would rather see all cars with DRLs rather than not see one coming at me out of a rainstorm, a fog or from around a sharp two-lane highway curve in overcast without any lights, which they "forgot" to turn on! I can send you a copy of the accident and hospital reports to verify the results if you would like?

Reply to
Sudy Nim

Radio off would save fuel.

Reply to
Tim

Well Marlow, Not only was Edwin "cherry picking", he was doing it BLIND, since the numbers weren't really attached to anything meaningful (a little test of mine). I then posted the entire chart in the native language of the person compiling, just to see how IT would be "analyzed" by the pro-DRL people; no surprises in either case! Now that the chart's in English, you can see that the numbers were in a general decline ANNUALY from 2002 thru 2005, and then a dramatic spike in Nov 2006 occurred with the introduction of DRLs for 16% MORE Collision deaths than the preceding year?s (2005) months of Nov-Dec. and a tabulation for the year (2006) of

8% MORE deaths than the preceding year (2005). Really, I honest-to-God do not know what makes pro-DRL people believe that those terribly annoying distracting things somehow make the roads and driving ?safer?. I guess it?s an article of faith, like blowing yourself up to get to heaven.
Reply to
Sharon Cooke

Back to my question without all this BS.

I feel DRL are safer and I could give a S*** less what others feel. Of course I also feel seatbelts and helmet safe lives and have always used them.

I have found that some cars built by GM are equipped some are not. Just because they are not working dose not indicate the car is not equipped. As it turns out mine is not. Best way to tell on a LaSabre is under the hood on the drivers side near the horn you will have a resistor bank if your auto is so equipped.

END OF DISCUSSION for me.

Reply to
Tim

What is the test for, to prove you don't know what you are talking about? YOU posted the numbers. YOU said they proved a mountain of bodies. YOU are the fool that cherry picked. Looks like your test backfired on you. I only used the numbers YOU provided.

They don't prove anything in either case, pro or con. It is a collection of numbers that went up and down with spikes much higher than that terrible year of 2006. Please, stop using meaningless numbers. You could post the daily temperature of Bulargia in August for the past 100 years and have the same result.

Could be, but I've never been distracted by them, harmed by them or any other bad thing. Nor have I seen a "mountain of bodies" on the road since they became standard of GM cars.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

At what distance? Sure, if you are inches away it is bright, but light decreases rapidly with distance. How close to you actually get to those lights while driving? Admittedly, not every light is properly aimed, but night or day that is a problem. Use the numbers correctly and get back to us.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you need DRLs on other cars to see them, you may be driving OVER the dead bodies without knowing it, or maybe even unknowingly adding to the body count.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

I can converse quite fine, providing the other parties can give information that makes sense.

In other words, "I've lost, pitifully, so I will try and make you feel for me now".

I 'understand' all of your points. The only problem is they don't make sense. Your numbers, your reasoning...none of it makes any sense...

Reply to
80 Knight

Gee, I think you may be correct. Mike, as spoke by Larry, you are herby grounded from Usenet for a period of 2 weeks...Larry, we all appreciate your dedication, and I look forward to seeing who you allow and disallow to participate in the future.

Reply to
80 Knight

I really don't think saying "honest officer I was blinded by the day time running light will work". Can you say citation boys and girls?

Reply to
Tim

Mike,

Let us suppose that you are correct and there is no evidence for either side. If that is a given, what you have here are a group of folks that are doing something, with no proof of benefit, that irritates other folks that hate what they are doing. If there is no proof either way, then why would people wish to use their lights during the day and irritate others? And if even by a slim chance the mere fact that they irritated another driver leads to a confrontation or accident, then why would anyone in their right mind wish to even remotely cause that kind of situation.

So, although I personally see plenty of reasons, precedence and evidence against DRLs. I would just be happy if folks would just be considerate and kind and turn their lights off when they are not needed. Once you get past all of the arguments, that is what it gets down to, are we willing to give other drivers the benefit of the doubt and stop irritating them? The answer should be easy to turn of the lights and help people to drive safely.

Thanks for bring that up,

Larry

Reply to
Larfx

Mike,

You totally twisted what I said. The comment on intellectual discussions related to people who are pro and con and not just those that agree with me. In no way did I attack others as those that I mentioned had, I am sorry that you read it that way, but I guess you wanted to, oh well.

Cheers,

Larry

Reply to
Larfx

Don't have to, he was real easy to read. Through your repeated posts, it is becoming easy to read you, as well.

People don't have to get acquainted with everyone to post, this isn't a closed group, sorry.

Reply to
Larfx

Zealot, what an interesting label for those that disagree with you, hmmm. Well sir, the only pot stirrer is you, what exactly are you talking about here? I can't tell what meaningful thing you are debating, other than lashing out at people that don't agree with you. Your multiple posts have been attack posts and have brought forth nothing to shore up whatever you are talking about??

Yep, this is Usenet and likewise, you can't shut us up by declaring some kind of moral superiority by out-yelling everyone, LOL.

Reply to
Larfx

Day won't be a problem if you just turn them off, right? Just my two cents, it can happen at a distance or close up, additionally the affect can increase when on a turn, coming over a hill, on a two lane road or when the car is in front of you in the left turn lane.

Cheers,

Larry

Reply to
Larfx

They don't make sense to you because you don't care and you don't want them to. You would rather live in blissful denial that your actions do affect others. Classic lack of debate skills or any facts that help you to be taken seriously. Thanks for playing.

Reply to
Larfx

LOL, I thought you said that you lost and that you were taking your toys and going home. Well, since you are staying in the discussion, please fill us in on why you don't care how your actions affect other drivers. And, the biggie, why you are still hanging around if the subject doesn't mean anything.

If this is such a waste of time, why are you here and keeping this thread alive, hmmm?

Reply to
Larfx

I do not recall saying anything of the sort.

I have seen no evidence that my use of DRL's affect's other drivers. No one I know of has complained about them, and (as I have stated, here in Canada, they are mandatory), I see them every day, and also have no complaints about them.

This is Usenet. No discussion is a waste of time. That's why most of us are here. You know, I honestly don't have a problem with you not liking DRL's. That is your choice. You paid for the car, so do with it as you please. What I do mind is you (and Sharon) stating that DRL's kill people, create mountain's of body's, blind people, cause accidents, etc, etc, etc. Why do I mind? Because I know it's not true. As you know, here in Canada DRL's are mandatory, and yet, they don't blind me, they don't make me see things that aren't there, and I have never heard of an accident caused by them. Like I said, you can like and dislike what you choose, but the "points" you have given hardly prove anything. Several I could use to say seat-belt's are bad, or air bags (both of which have been proven to have caused death). Do you dislike those as well?

Reply to
80 Knight

Just wanted to point out, Tim, here in Canada, we have "Canadian Tire" stores. From what I have heard, they are basically our version of your "AutoZone". They actually sell a unit for cars without DRL's. It hooks into the lights, and (if memory serves) basically turns the lights on whenever the car is running. Would something like that work for what you are trying? Here is a link to the page for the device (if the link doesn't work, just go to

and search for "driving light":
Also, you said you car isn't equipped with DRL's, but does it have the wiring, just no DRL module? If so, you may be able to purchase the DRL module off e-bay, or even someone who has one laying around.

Reply to
80 Knight

Did you ever think that some people are irritated by people who *don't* have DRL's? Why is it that your choice is the proper one? Let's hypothetically do as you said, and say there is no evidence for either side. At which point, we are down to something basic. Driving with lights on, or off. Who are you to tell people which one is the 'proper' way? Also, there was a poster a couple of days ago saying how the Postal Service has reduced accidents by 35% after using DRL's, yet you did not comment on that. Any reason?

Reply to
80 Knight