dealer want fix

i have a 2000 s 10 v 6 votec i have a noise in the motor it sounds like the valves needs ajusted the dealer said there are no ajustment on the vavles and said due to th milage 65000 that was normal for the noise the
warrnty is good till 86411 i paid for the warranty can get the noise fix you can let the truck sat for 45 minutes start it up there is a loud noise for about a minute then it quieten down it sound like to me it is a leaky lifter can any body help me solve my problem the dealers want fix it roger snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net thank you 1 26 06
thank you 1 26 06
Not unusual. They make money selling you the warranty, not by fixing anything under warranty.
You need to read your warranty CAREFULLY, or have an attorney or legal aide do it. Know for sure if you have the coverage you think you have. Many warranty policies are worthless.
IF you have coverage, you may need to get some proof that you have a problem. A second opinion from a qualified mechanic, in writing, would give you some evidence. The dealership has given its opinion and, not unpredictably, they have sided against you. If a qualified mechanic has a different opinion, then you have something on your side.
Now, if you determine that you actually have a problem and that your warranty should cover it, and they still won't attempt to satisfy you, you may have to sue them. In most places, you can sue in small claims court without an attorney for several thousand dollars.

I have to say, I have never had a dealer arbitrarilly dispute a valid claim. Not sure where your "not unpredictably" comes from, unless you are suggesting that it is not a valid warranty claim and the dealer has no obligation to it.

Indeed.
Correct again, but I suspect it won't ever get this far.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
rite here in the U.S.A. wrote:

thank you 1 26 06

How about trying that again, this time with grade school punctuation. If you want help from people, you shouldn't make them work just to figure out what you're trying to say.
What you're hearing is probably piston slap. It's normal for the 6 cylinder. You can't fix something that is designed into the engine.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

that is truly horse shit, Mike, and you should know it. It was NOT designed into the engine.

So, are you saying that the newer engines with piston slap weren't built to design specifications?
Dave
was NOT designed into the engine.

Poor engineering makes good design? I dont think so.

Ok....I can see why you'd avoid answering the question.
Dave

It wasn't? It's a function of the piston design. It's not a wear issue, it's the way the engine is built.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
It is a function of little or no piston skirt which allows the piston to rock in the bore. The piston to wall clearances now become more critical and the difference of .001 can be the the difference in getting piston slap or not.

-

Correct. That would be "the way it was designed", as stated earlier, and taken exception to.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
It is a function of the design of the piston, but it is more of a cockup.
I dont believe that even GM wants to design an engine that has piston slap. Slap can cause cylinder damage and shorten the life of the engine.
Then, in afterthought, maybe I should apologize to you. GM 'designs' or perhaps 'misengineers' lots of faults into their engines these days.

I do agree that slop was not a design intent, but it is a result of that specific piston design. This and other long standing issues with GM products is what really bothers me as a long time GM advocate. The intake gasket issues are the same. I can understand issues coming up, especially when a company is trying to be innovative and come up with new designs. The reasons for that innovative initiative can be internal (how do we design a lighter, more powerful engine), or they can be impressed from the outside (Feds outlaw the use of asbestos forcing manufacturers to come up with alternatives overnight). I make allowances for misfires in the realm of innovation. What I have a hard time with is not taking the high road and making proper redress once the problems are discovered. In the case of these engines, the design was found to be weak, but production went full tilt, and GM even does their best to deny culpability. At that point, where there is a full awareness of the issues and the motor company makes the conscious decision to continue production and dismiss the complaints of their customers, I tend to take a harsher position.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Could also be the reason many customers suffer serious pain with domestic car companies and why imports (even though made/assembled here) do as well as they do. My $0.02.
Well, if they want fix, what do you want? If you want fix, then tell dealer they fix. If you no want fix, you no fix.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.