delco CD player

Hi, I bought a 98 Pontiac grand am gt last week, the stock cd player that came with the car everytime you put a cd in, it fades in and out, what would cause this?

Reply to
Adam

if the volume is fading then its probably a short in a speaker wire somewhere. This happens a lot when people return their cars to stock radio in order to sell them.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Well it dont happen on the radio, just the cd player, its like the sound statics in and out. I installed an aftermarket cd player and it dont do it.

But I would like to put the delco back >> Hi,

Reply to
Adam

Very unlikely

Reply to
<HLS

If cleaning the laser doesn't fix it the laser is probably shot. You could probably get it fixed for about double or triple the cost of a new radio.

Reply to
Woody

I found a guy in San Antonio who fixes those types of radios, and does it very inexpensively.

I really doubt it would cost 3x the cost of the radio to fix them. Some of these radios sold for nearly a grand from the dealerships. That means you would have to pay $3000 give or take to have them repaired?

I dont think so.

Reply to
<HLS

This would have been a good place to start, but this ones never been tampered with, its a three owner car.

Reply to
Adam

If the car has had 3 owners, how do you know its never had the speakers changed?

Anyway, if its only the CD player, and the CD player is a seperate unit, then it can be a loose wire to the CD player.

You describe it as staticy, I would check the ground wire in the connector from the CD player, and also the signal wires to the main head unit from the CD player.

Reply to
dnoyeB

I wouldn't. The OP described the problem as having two distinct symptoms - sound fading out and a static sound. If it were just static, a lot of things might be appropriate places to look, but the fading does not point to bad grounds or other connection problems. I'd be sending the CD player out for repair or replacing it. They are available on E-bay for pretty cheap. Junk yards are another option. Fading is most likely a heat related problem and I'm not sure it's worth repairing one from a cost perspective, when you can get replacements at reasonable prices.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Adam

Yeah. good luck finding one around here at anyof the yards, I wont pay over

100 for another one, cause I just went out and bought a perfectly good JVC cd player at walmart for 89 with detachable face, sounds good too with stock speakers.
Reply to
Adam

You're right that you can buy a great deck for $100, but if you want the OEM equipment (as it appears the OP does), then that's not an option. E-bay is.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well my delco does what you describe. Does it on radio and tape. Its a loose speaker wire. When they short out, the circuit protection kicks in and turns off the speaker. It comes back some time after the short has gone. Older stereos would just burn out. So Delco is not all bad.

But since its all one unit, and the radio is fine, I wouldnt look for any external connection problems.

Reply to
dnoyeB

ebay is NOT an option for me to buy used equipment from, I just bought from two companies and one of them its been almost a week and half and still havent shipped the item, and the other its been four days and havent heard from them either yet. So I really dont like ebay, I have all my stuff set up and verified, I have a sellers account also, which I do use, because my stuff gets shipped same day within 4 hours of purchase...I just dont like buying from ebay.

Reply to
Adam