Delta 88, rattling noise at idle.

Oh, and no dealers or shops locally (Two GM/Pontiac/Buick dealers, two Shuck's, one Autozone and one NAPA) sell the cam position interrupter/ magnet, and I can't find one online. I'm probably searching for the wrong thing, and don't want to pay $50 (!) to have one ordered.

Reply to
Geirskogul

The car couldn't keep a tune?!?

Sorry...couldn't resist. I had an 88 Delta 88 RB, as well, and had the same problem, except when mine went the car wasn't drivable. Idled extremely rough. I hope your bill to replace it wasn't as much as mine ($500, I think).

Reply to
J Rod

Reply to
Geirskogul

The car runs (mostly) better than ever. The new harmonic balancer works, and it seems there's no damage to the valves after all (just had the head gaskets replaced for kicks; this is my "learning" car). The Seafoam actually cleaned up the engine really well; the mechanic that replaced the gaskets (while I watched, yay) was quite amazed at how...shiny the internals were, though I did have to also get a new gasket on the exhaust reclamation (EGR?) valve. I guess the carbon buildup was all that was left.

But now: why would the PS fluid foam up? Why also would the PS whine like our old 83 Ford Ranger? I've tried to bleed the system (jacked up front of car, turned wheel to lock either side 30 times, slowly and quickly, and added fluid). Doesn't whine unless wheel is turned. Does the car use regular PS fluid, or AT fluid? Maybe I should do another power steering flush?

Reply to
Geirskogul