Detroit auto makers try some new tricks

Page 13 of 16

I don't think you can make a blanket statement as to which is most safe. Crumple zones can be a huge plus for the new cars while mass can be a plus for an old car.
It just depends on what you hit or what hits you. If I was going to be involved in an accident with another car I would rather be in one of my oldies. I've got the mass and metal on my side and the other car can be my crumple zone. If I'm going to hit a brick wall I would much rater be in a new car that will crumple up instead of me crumpling up.
Steve B.
Add pictures here
✖
"Steve B." ...

Good points. Thanks.
Natalie
Add pictures here
✖

The whole idea with newer cars is to have a rigid cage structure around the passenger compartment, and crumple zones at the end. They even put nice accordion pleat starter grooves on the frame stubs so the fold patterns are pre-ordained.
Crumpling at the ends will cause the car to be totaled easier, but it soaks up all that energy a lot easier than the passenger bodies.
Bodies can't soak up nearly the energy that the car body can, the internal organs simply can't handle the sudden stop - Ascending Aorta Aneurysm, Anyone?
The car can fold in at the ends like an accordion, as long as the engine and transmission go down and out of the way and not shoved into the passenger compartment.
Same thing with the foot box, they try to keep the pedals and the steering column from being displaced into the driver, they will rig the crash to bend the steering column & wheel up and out.
Old cars will follow the same basic 'compartment and crumple' model, but they really weren't computer designed scientifically to do it so the results vary wildly.
--<< Bruce >>--
Add pictures here
✖

There's a Pontiac Fiero at the local tow yard today. He was sitting in a left turn lane when someone coming the other way at 80+ thought his left turn lane looked like a good passing lane.
Nailed the Fiero, not directly head on, spun it around a few times. Most of the plastic stuff disappeared or was shredded. No engine in the front, so there's not much left of the front, but the driver opened the door and got out. The passenger compartment isn't even distorted much.
One of the local volunteer fire department guys has been hauling people out of crashed cars for decades. He said they used to be dead, then head injuries, then upper torso, now crushed ankles, as the decades go by.
Unibody cars tend to fold up if the passenger compartment distorts, with the dash and under-components trapping and crushing the feet and ankles.

✖
Bruce L. Bergman wrote: Steve B. wrote:

That reminds me of this case:
http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id%4166
Soiled underwear, anyone?
Natalie
Add pictures here
✖

But as we see when two SUVs with little crumple zone hit one another the people in both vehicles are often seriously injured. A high percentage of todays vehicles are large SUVs with little crumple zone.
Then there is the single vehicle accident situation when you hit a hard object, but you will never do that will you!
Add pictures here
✖

No - we don't see that at all. If you're going to make things up, at least make up an accident scenario where what you claim is likely.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Who is we? I don't see this scenario. I see more hurt people come from the small car vs SUV scenario where the small car gets clobbered. SUV vs SUV doesn't seem to result in any more injuries than car vs car.

In my post that you quoted I said that I would rather be in a new car if I was going to hit a brick wall. Just in case you haven't noticed brick walls are hard objects.
Steve B.
Add pictures here
✖

Some have also said that it's safer to not wear a seat belt, so you can be thrown clear in an accident. They don't know know what they're talking about, either.
Add pictures here
✖
"Joe Pfeiffer" ...

Sadly, lots of people believe in rolling those dice.
I think anyone who thinks that's a good idea should, for even only one day, observe motor vehicle cases in a large ER. *Any* large ER.
Made a seat belt believer out of me - quickly.
Natalie
Add pictures here
✖

So true. Of course it's better not to wear a seat belt when on a motorcycle or perhaps even when in a convertible without a roll bar.
Add pictures here
✖

You haven't been to a body shop lately have you. :)
Ed
Add pictures here
✖
In article

You haven't been in an accident lately have you? (no smiley)
Add pictures here
✖

You haven't seen what hospitals charge, have you?
Charles of Schaumburg
Add pictures here
✖
"n5hsr" ...

aarcuda69062 >>

I just got my statement ("This is not a bill") on my cardiac stress test - $5,500! That's just the treadmill test itself - not even the doctor's fee!
What a ripoff.
Natalie
Add pictures here
✖

And have you seen the price of drugs lately? They're trying to get rid of quinine, which is a naturally occuring substance, so they can't really charge a ton for it. But the drug companies have been trying to get rid of quinine since the 1990's. They try to give dialyis patients Robaxin, but it doesn't work on me or my dad. (I think Robaxin is some sort of muscle relaxant.) Next they'll try to get rid of asprin. Now I can only get some artificial quinine substitute that costs me $110 a month, whereas before the quinine I took cost less than $10 a month.
Charles of Schaumburg
Add pictures here
✖
n5hsr wrote:

Find a good herbalist that carries quinine bark and white willow (natural aspirin the way it used to be obtained before they learned how to make it synthtically).
We should always have those available in the U.S. unless Hillary and Teddy get there way on outlaewing herbal medicine (which I don't think will ever happen).
✖

They'll try. Big Pharma has been trying to stick the Quack label on herbal medicine since probably 1906.
Do you know the most common medicine to control diabetes in India? Cinnaomon! I had an Indian doctor friend tell me as much. A lot cheaper than the dollar-a-pill stuff they had me on, and for me, it actually works. My numbers are almost too good.
Charles
Add pictures here
✖
"n5hsr" ...

I firmly believe in trying herbals before pharmaceuticals, myself.
Natalie
Add pictures here
✖

Here's hoping they carry the "Not made in China" label. <:)
Add pictures here
✖