Detroit auto makers try some new tricks

Page 16 of 16
By the time the NHTSA investigation for the US Senate proved the Pinto was as good or better than any of it competitors small cars in a rear collision,
practically the Japanese small cars and even better than some larger cars, when hit in the rear at 35 MPH, Ford dropped the name and called the new FWD 1980 Pinto the Escort.
Even today the government rear crash standards is 30 MPH although Ford builds its vehicle to a speed 5 MPH above all of the current crash standards. NO other manufacturer builds above the NHTSA standards. Ford even goes further with the CV and builds up to a 50 MPH standard.
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

Toyota has had a 37 MPH (60 Km/H) rear crash standard since at least the early 1980s.
On Sep 18, 7:49 pm, "Wickeddoll"

Wickeddoll wrote:

I take you at your word that you realize they do have problems.... but I *HAVE* heard people who believe that because they bought a Toyota (or less often, a Honda) that they'll never have to get it serviced at all. Believe it or not...

Someone mentioned that maybe the bigger difference between Japanese and American cars is the dealer network rather than the manufacturer. That may be true. For example, I have never, never, never EVER (and never will!) darken the door of a dealer service department. And especially not for "routine maintenance." I do all that myself. Not that they're paricularly incompetent (although on the rare times I've been to a dealer for an oddball quirky electronic/computer problem, they seem as clueless as anyone else and I wind up figuring it out myself in the end) Its that dealer service departments often try to up-sell services that aren't necessary (eg. fuel injector "cleaning.") The only type of place that I consider more harmful to the well-being of my car (and wallet) than the dealer service department would be a place like Jiffy Lube.
You mean, like my friend with the new Honda with the pourous power steering pump housing, that leaks fluid all over his driveway ?
|I think it's cool. I'd love to drive an American car again, without having |to run it back and forth to the shop. Seriously, I'm willing to give them |another chance. | |Natalie | | |

Now wait-a=minute. I dont understand something here. I thought the reason people stopped buying American cars was becasue they did NOT have the looks of German or Japanese cars. Your saying the reason people dont buy American cars is that they look TOO much like foreign. Seems something is wrong, somewhere.
lol .. maybe they should replace the suv commercials with new commercials about how they are making their products better and stronger... that would be a start...