Detroit auto makers try some new tricks

Page 3 of 16
Lloyd wrote:

And Imperial has been both a stand-alone brand and a model within the Chrysler line at various times.

Merged with Packard, but it was too little too late for both of them.

Ya didn't answer this question. The original name of the Cadillac Motor Company was the Henry Ford Motor Company, until it was bought out by Mr Leland in 1902. The current Ford Motor Company didn't exist until 1903. Basically Mr Leland built Cadillacs until Mr Durant forced him out. Then he started building Lincolns, until Henry Ford bought him out somewhere around 1921.

Then there's Auburn, Duesenburg and Cord.
There's a story that the non-Ford manufacturers got together about 1923 and wondered what happened when Henry Ford gathered the people that made the other 50% of the cars (i.e. himself.)

Charles of Schaumburg

You don't have this quite right, but it is close. The Henry Ford Motor Car Company went backrupt. The principal investors took possesion of the assest and hired Henry Leyland to run a new company, eventually called Cadillac. I don't think you can say that the original name of Cadillac was the Henry Ford Motor Car Company, although certainly there is a connection. I don't think Mr. Leyland ever was the principal owner of Cadillac, although he certainly was the early managing force. Henry Leyland did found Lincoln, which Henry Ford eventually purchased and then forced out Henry Leyland (and son). A lot of historians paint this as sort of a revenge play by Henry Ford.
Ed

Now you've got me thinking and I can't remember something. Wasn't Ford (1903-present) Motor Company Henry's 3d car company? Seems to me like there was a car company before Henry Ford Motor Company.
Charles of Schaumburg

You were joking, right? Walter P. reorganized Maxwell, and it was renamed Chrysler. Plymouth was introduced a few years later.
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Just explained in another post. Plymouth became the level of car that Maxwell had been, while Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler, and Imperial (in that order) were upscale.
"C. E. White" ...

A close friend of mine had a car that I think was an Opel (forget the model name). Were they here in the 70/80s? If not, it may have been something else. Whatever it was, we got stranded on the road quite often.
Natalie

Yep, I know 2 people who had Opels way back when. Equally unreliable.
Cathy
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:21:52 -0400, "Cathy F."

I owned an OPEL Kadette in 65(?) It was a super little car.
Two things I remember;
It looked small outside, but it was ROOMY inside.
Service of any sort from BUICK ( the dealer ) was indifferent.
<rj>

Service on cars from another manufacturer can be a problem. They are regarded as someone else's problem.
Now for the Vibe from Toyota!

Buick dealers sold German built Opels from the late 50's to the mid 70's. Two high school friends owned Opel 1900s (Mantas see http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2212916 ). They had very good luck with them. Buick dealers also sold a little sports coupe, the Opel GT. Like most cars GM has imported from overseas, they finally dropped the line. Today, Saturn is being turned into the US counterpart of Opel. The Saturn Aura and current (new) Vue are essentially rebadged Opels, but built in the US. A version of the Saturn Sky (Pontiac Solstice sister) is sold in Europe as the Opel GT. Given the recent decline of the dollar vs. the Euro, it is likely it will not be economical to directly import Opels into the US to sell as Saturns, so probably, they will continue being built in the US, or in low cost factories in other countries. It will be interesting to see how long they are based on German products.
Ed
"Ed White" <...

"Opel GT"?
Seems like she had a particular model, which name escapes me.
Natalie

Sure, there was the Opel Kadette
wrote in message

My first car was a 1966 1.1 Opel Kadette fastback. Ran it into the ground, at which point I bought a '69 1.9 Kadette Rallye. Outstanding car. Drove it for years without issues. The pic in this link was exactly my car: http://www.opelclub.com/html/opel_kadett.html
The late-60s/early-70s Opels were great little cars - German versions of the Datsuns and Toyotas. The Opel GT was the "baby Corvette".
Wickeddoll wrote:

GM Sold the Opel Manta in the US in the 70s. Cute little cars, but not the most reliable.)
"Steve" ...

Thanks - that was bugging me! You know, how you go nuts trying to remember things.
Natalie

Don't forget that other Opel model, the Cadillac Catera
"Edwin Pawlowski" ...

You're kidding, right?
Natalie

GM loves to play with Opel stuff. The Catera was all but a rebadged Opel. The current Saturn convertible is an Opel GT at heart. The Opel V6 powered some earlier Saturn models. I'm sure there are more out there but those come to mind off the top of my head.
Back when I was a kid my grandfather was big in to Opels. I got my feet wet working on cars helping him rebuild a couple of Manta engines. Funny the things you remember in life... I don't remember yesterday but I still remember starting the engine in that car for the first time after we rebuilt the engine in it. That was a high that I'll likely never have again.
Steve B.
"Steve B." ...

Spoken like a true car enthusiast.
:-)