Detroit auto makers try some new tricks

Page 4 of 16

Actually, you have it backwards, the current Opel GT is a rebadged Saturn Sky / Pontiac Solstice. The V-6 powered Vues use the Opel V-6 for the first 2 or 3 years, then switched to a Honda V-6. The current Vues are back to GM engines. In the early 00's GM and Honda had an engine swapping arrangement - GM provided diesels in Europe to Honda and Honda sold V-6 drive trains to GM for use in Saturns.
One thing about the Opel GT - it should not really be called a "GT" at all, at least as this designation was originally used in Europe. GT was short for Grand Turismo, which were generally coupes, not convertibles. Of course Ford, GM, and all other US manufacturers slap letters wily nilly on cars, so I guess GT has no real meaning these days. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_%28racing%29 )
Ed

Nope, that is who made it. The Caddy dealers had to pay an additional $50,000 to sell them too. My local dealer never did and is glad he stayed away from them.
"Edwin Pawlowski" ...

You mean you have to pay extra just to SELL certain cars?
Wouldn't that make the dealer hesitate on any new concepts/prototypes? I would think that would make distribution that much tougher for the manufacturer.
Essentially, that's saying, "We don't even know if people will buy these, but we're going to charge *you* to find out."
:-P
Natalie
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:55:23 -0400, "Wickeddoll"

They had to have a journeyman mechanic or two on staff take the Opel training on the different systems in those cars so they could repair them quickly and competently. And if the training courses weren't offered at the regional office, they might have to fly them to Detroit or Europe for a week or two, lodging and per diem.
And the Parts Department had to stock an assortment of the different Opel spare parts so the cars that they sold could be serviced in a prompt manner - no customer cars sitting idle for days just to get in simple items like a filter or thermostat.
And they had to buy any Special Service Tools that weren't already at the dealership - oddball socket wrenches, special jack cradles to remove and install transmissions and engines, and such like.
Between all that, it could easily add up to more than $50K in start-up costs. And if you aren't ready to service them we won't let you sell them - all part of being a car dealer.
--<< Bruce >>--
"Bruce L. Bergman"

No wonder they try so hard to sell prototypes....
Natalie

Nope.
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <>,

So I've heard.
Natalie
Wickeddoll wrote:

I hope he's kidding about not forgetting it. I REALLY want to forget it.
And yes, it was based on an Opel....
"Steve" ...

LOL that bad, huh.
Natalie

But it was not sold as an Opel (even though it was). My next door neighbor had one. As far as I know it never broke, but then she was very old and the car was only driven about once a month.
Ed
On Sep 24, 6:04 pm, "Wickeddoll"

You should read the Car & Driver review of the Opel in an early issue. (They reprinted it in their anniversary issue last year.) Scathing (and hilarious) review.
"Lloyd" "Wickeddoll" wrote:

You should read the Car & Driver review of the Opel in an early issue. (They reprinted it in their anniversary issue last year.) Scathing (and hilarious) review.
*** where would I find this amusing piece?
:-)
Natalie

I wonder if that guy is sitting on the dole queue next to the guy from Decca Records who said the Beatles were a fad and guitar groups were on the way out?
Charles of Schaumburg
On Sep 25, 7:13 pm, "Wickeddoll"

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/9523/road-test-opel-kadett-l-station-wagon.html
"Lloyd" "Wickeddoll"

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/9523/road-test-opel-kadett-l-station-wagon.html
Thanks!
Natalie

The funniest thing is that the C&D road tests are _still_ just as bad as the one in the link above. They haven't changed a bit in all those years. ;)

I was pointing out Ford uses its own name on most of its foreign operations, while GM uses actual "foreign" brands. And GM bought Vauxhall and Opel; they were not created by GM.
Lloyd wrote:

Actually Opel was founding in 1863 and by 1913 was Germany's largest automobile company. GM bought controlling interest in 1929 and increased it's ownership to 100% in 1931. Thus for 50 years Opel was independent of GM.
Holden's founding goes back to a saddle making company in 1856 which evolved into a body factory (much like Fisher bdoy in the US). GM bought Holden in 1931.
Vauxhall has a similar history having been founded in 1857 and bought by GM in 1925.
Post WW-1 GM was in a position to expand by buying up foreign competitors at a time when those companies were struggling to recover. By 1931 in the middle of the great depression GM did some buying on the cheap.
Just setting the record straight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Motors

Ford bought Lincoln, Aston-Martin (now mostly sold), Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo, and a controlling interest in Mazda. Mercury was created, not bought. I agree that the bulk of Ford products are sold under the Ford brand name, although there are exceptions.
Ed
Natalie, The Fusion is a Ford, think about it. Ford=Cheap POC. The last Ford I owned was a '98 Mustake - what an over-rated POC that was, built Ford cheap. Fords are cheaper to buy (but not to own), that's all they have going for them (besides heavy marketing). Of the worst cars ever made Ford has probably made most of them. Two of the most recent that come to mind are the roll-over Explorer and flaming Crown Victoria. Considering that Ford is joined at the hip with Mazda, I suggest you avoid them, too.
I was once a GM mechanic, eventually NIASE double-gear certified (only meaningful to professional mechanics). Our Saturn Sky, which is really a Opel GT, is the first GM car I have owned in over 25 years - it's my wife's car (wish me good luck with it). The Sky's gas mileage is disappointing. I have rented a couple of Chevy Cobalt LS cars lately and was really impressed with their gas mileage. Not sure how the car itself would hold up over the long haul, but I would be tempted to buy one.
It seams everyone slams Dodge, but I have had the best luck with my '98 Dodge Stratus. It has the Mitsubishi 2.5L V6 engine (a derivative of the 3.0L V6) and has been very good to me. It now has over 138,000 miles on it and still gets me over 31 MPG on the highway. I do take good care of it.
If you take care of a car, it will take car of you. This is probably true of Ford, but I seriously doubt it. I suggest that you wait and see on the Fusion, or any Ford for that matter.
Gyz

--
Gyz

07 Saturn Sky 2.4L I4