DEX-COOL, Conventional Green, & G-05... My Experiences

It may work with all metals but you missed my point. Different metals such= =20 as copper and aluminum in the same cooling system will cause any coolant=20 to become acidic do to the fact that it acts like a battery. =20

Yeah when its actually "released" to the outside it will vaporizer but not= =20 under pressure. Why you said steam confused more people than just I.

And you are again forgetting that there should be NOOOO AIR in the cooling= =20 system. I mentioned the glass thing because you claim it becomes muddy=20 just sitting in the overflow bottle. It doesnt get hot enough in that=20 bottle to cause the coolant to crystalize so it can be exposed to air. Its= =20 air and intence heat in the radiator/engine which damages it!=20

Dexcool does NOT cause green coolant to crystalize or cake up! Green=20 coolant contaminates dexcool, not vise versa. Once the dexcool was out the= =20 green coolant took over just fine. Green coolant leaves heavy deposits on= =20 aluminum. I know dexcool doesnt leave whitish crystal deposits with the=20 texture of 30 grit sand paper! =20

Right there you are wrong. It lasted 5 years for me and on 2 of my sisters= =20 cars which have dexcool. You see things like this. If something says scratch proof and it scratches= =20 you raise hell. In reality its only scratch "resistant". Nothing is=20 guaranteed to last its given amount of time especially if you dont=20 maintain it correctly or try putting dexcool in a contaminated system like= =20 you did!

=20 Inferior my ass, it means its been contaminated! Inferior is the %#@$ that= =20 eats away aluminum pipes!

You're using Chrysler as a gage for this? Thats funny considering I have=20 seen so much bs in their cars.

The zerex "EXTREME LIFE" not "extended life" is said to be compatable with= =20 Dexcool systems.

I suggest everyone read through these and come to your own conclusions.

What ever you decide to switch to, if you feel you need to drop dexcool=20 out of your system, make sure to use a silica and phosphate free coolant=20 so it stands a chance of being switched back and so aluminum parts dont=20 get ate up.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

WTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT STEAMING PROCESS??? IT HAS TO BOIL FIRST AND IT CANT UNDER 15PSI!!! It would have to reach 260 deg before it can begin to boil!

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

This is the last time I am gonna explain this. As water APPROACHES its boiling point of 212 degrees Fahrenheit, the steaming process begins. That means the water / coolant is near the point where it turns from a liquid to a gas yet will not turn completely into a gas since it is not quite hot enough yet. However, there is some gas being put off. This is what creates the pressure that eventually opens your radiator cap.

Need more proof huh? OK, here is a very simple chemistry experiment. Take a glass and fill it almost to the top with water leaving a small space for air. Take plastic wrap and put it over the top of the glass so it is sealed. Now heat the glass and you will see the clear plastic either come off or loosen itself way before the water reaches its boiling point. What is this called? The start of the boiling process. This is basic high school physical science.

260 - 270 degrees Fahrenheit is about a normal boil over level for coolant. Boil over is where all hell breaks loose. But the coolant has starts to boil way before this but has not put out enough pressure to open the radiator cap yet. The whole thing is pressure. You are talking as if the coolant is pressurized at 15 PSI all the time which it is not. It only reaches this point after almost reaching a temperature to almost start it to boil (the beginning of the steaming process).

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

I am not so sure about that. I think it is only organic (OAT) coolant that causes this.

I am starting to wonder why I said that myself. I figured most people would immediately know that I meant (approach of boiling / the beginning of the boiling process) but no I regret saying that as I have had to explain it at least 20 times now.

I didn't claim that it became muddy in the overflow tank. I claimed that the overflow tank has a hole in it for boil overs but that hole also lets air into the overflow tank. It becomes muddy thanks to air getting into the cooling system. The only way air gets into what once was a properly filled system is through a leak either through the overflow, radiator cap, hoses, or something else.

You are wrong. The DEX-COOL leaves a residue on everything it comes into contact with. This is why it is vital to back flush the cooling system several times and run a chemical cleaner through the cooling system for 4 -

6 hours to remove these deposits. The crystallization was cause by the residue being there and the conventional green chemically reacting to it. Conventional green also leaves residue and DEX-COOL will crystallize. You must be running some cheap, heavily silicated green shit in your vehicle. What was it? Peak?

Why me Lord? It didn't last 5 years. You simply left it in that long. Remember the freeze point is permanent as long as no more water or coolant is added to mess up the original mixture. However, the inhibitors in any coolant breakdown after time. 5 years my ass! They probably wore out about

2 years before that happened.

It means it is inferior dipshit. I have never heard or seen conventinal green slug. I sure as hell have seen DEX-COOL slug. Coolant is not suppose to slug no matter what. Contamination? You mean that green has been introduced? BULLSHIT! The slug problem is the basis the the class action lawsuit against GM on DEX-COOL.

No I am not using Chrysler as a gage. G-05 has been in use for at least 20 years by Mercedes and John Deere. Chrysler and Ford recently converted to it after extensice tests the apparently GM didn't do. Ford was going to go to an OAT coolant back backed down. Why? They found out about slug and gasket and seal leaks.

Where did that pop out of? That has nothing ot do with the paragraph in my post that reply was for.

Your first link is one of the beliefs of what is letting air into the cooling system. GM is recommending S-10 owners go to Stant caps. That might get rid of the air and therefore the slug, but the point is that coolant is not suppose to slug no matter what to begin with. Contamination is not the issue here. These people have not poured in or mixed another coolant with DEX-COOL. It is simply slugging because it is an inferior product.

Your second link has more ads than story, but the story explains why DEX-COOL sucks. The author though has his doubts. I propose this question to that author. If you are not convinced that DEX-COOL is the cause, then how can you explain why this doesn't happen with green conventional coolant in the same systems upon their being completely flushed of DEX-COOL though back flushing and running a chemical cleaner?

Yes. Heavily silicated coolants are bad. Use either Zerex G-05 or Zerex

5/100 Conventional Green coolant which have low silicates. Too many are bad, but the right amount will protect those aluminum parts wonderfully for about 2 -3 years. After that, change your coolant.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

No it doesn't. There's no such thing as the "steaming process". The temperature at which a given liquid vaporizes depends on the temp AND PRESSURE. Water vaporizes (its 'boiling point') at 212F at one atmosphere pressure (nominal sea level). And that's pure water. At higher pressures and with additives such as those present in automotive coolant it's quite a bit higher. You have obviously never taken a physics or thermodynamics course.

And this is the last time I'm gonna explain this...

Reply to
asdf

"Buford T. Justice" wrote

Can there be anything worse then people posting on the newsgroup their opinions of Dexcool, or regular coolant usage and not even have a basic grasp of the operation of a cooling system? It's unbelievable really, and not worth discussing any further until you do some studying up on cooling system basics.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Did you do the experiment before you decide to post here for posterity? No you didn't. Get lost freak.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

It is amazing that people wonder through a thread without knowing anything and have to leave a stupid comment such as yours that will be a part of this thread forever. I doubt you know how it works n*****ts.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

Reply to
Mark

LOL... I imagine the "freezing process" of water starts at about 50deg F as well. At least this fool picked an appropriate name for himself. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Its obvious you dont know who you are addressing there.=20

--=20

---------------------------------------

-Bon=B7ne=B7ville

-Formerly known as

-Bonnevilles R Kewl

---------------------------------------

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Get a life bitch.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

And your point is???

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

OK Bob! You sure are funny, lol,... NOT!

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

"Buford T. Justice"

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Well he seems to be a smartass. Nobody knows everything. I certainly admit to that. My original post was about my experiences with DEX-COOL, conventional green, and G-05. In fact, I started a new thread about G-05 and he left a smartass comment on it.

I regret even mentioning steam in anyway, shape, or form which I think I typed after reading the article below (second paragraph)...

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

Your post has reinforced my theory that you have nothing remotely valuable to contribute. You really need to get a life.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice