DEX-COOL, Conventional Green, & G-05... My Experiences

Page 5 of 6
I have nothing but good memories of my 82 Omni 024. Low on class & sex appeal but high on value. One of the first cars built with galvanized skin it looked new when I sold it 7 years later. 1st car I
ever bought brand new and the last car I've owned that required nothing more than oil, lube, shocks, brakes & tires for its entire life. OK, 1 exception: The backup light switch broke and cost me $12.00 to replace. I should be so lucky now.
On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 05:40:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@KNOThotmail.com (TJ 727) wrote:

Carboxylate is organic? That is one of the main ingredients in dexcool.
Gaskets can sometimes be very touchy. They have memories, becoming accustomed to whatever they are in contact most. Don't ask me why, but many mechanic friends have told me this from years of experience. In one instance, they had to redo all the axle seals in a brand new Peterbuilt because they switched to a synrthetic diff oil a month after they got it new. Sometimes just little changes can cause havoc.
Take a carbureted snowmobile fo instance. You would be nuts to not use a gas line antifreeze with it, but use a methyl based alcohol, and you will be looking for trouble. Ethanol or isopropyl everything is good. Even though they are all alcohols, the methanol will eventually eat and crack all your carbeurator seals.
As far as when to change coolant in a semi, they don't go by km's or time, they go by testing it, for ph, and numerous other variants.

coolant
period
cooling
protection
New
engine.
of
TJ 727 wrote:

Oh PLEASE! No fair. You could run a Mopar 2.2 for 20 years on horse pee for coolant and paint thinner for gasoline. :-)

Mine didn't like ethanol.
--
2001 Grand Prix GT
http://727tj.tripod.com /

The transmission does have coolant lines either going from the radiator to the transmission and back of vice versa. Sometimes they are filled with coolant and sometimes they are filled with transmission fluid. It depends on the make and model of the car.
BTJustice

some
cooling,
I've never seen one with coolant running through the transmission. Can you cite an example?
On 10/6/03 0:36 AM, in article blqv07$fdi4l$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-208839.news.uni-berlin.de,

I always heard some do and some don't. Is that not true? If I am wrong then I am wrong.
It makes since that the transmission fluid going out of the transmission to the radiator would cool it as it is getting away from the hot transmission and the engine. But then it always makes since that coolant going to the transmission would carry the heat away and keep the transmission cool.
BTJustice

Buford T. Justice wrote:

Name me ONE make of car that pumps coolant back to the transmission.
Transmission fluid can enter the radiator and water can enter the transmission. In this case, the leaky cooler tank in the radiator will have to be replaced as well as rebuilding the transmission. One of the common indications of transmission fluid in the radiator coolant is the "strawberry milkshake" appearance of the coolant. this is a break down situation and not normal for any car. [/copied] from: http://www.quality-trans.com/faq/faq6.htm

Well this may happen if the radiator leaks between the water reservoir and the atf reservoirel. Contamination would be at the radiator level. The effect is the same: strawberry milkshake.

transmission. In this case,

rebuilding the

radiator coolant is

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......... Strawberry milkshake

as
the
from:
Nice answer to a question that was never asked.
Let me re-phrase: Name one car that pumps engine coolant back to the transmission BY DESIGN.
Of-frickin-COURSE antifreeze can get into the transmission when the heat exchanger in the bottom of the radiator fails, everyone knows that! The original claim was that some cars have a heat exchanger in the transmission which recieves engine coolant from the radiator, rather than having the heat exchanger in the radiator where it recieves oil from the transmission. I don't believe I've ever read about such a design and I've CERTAINLY never seen one, and I asked for an example.
Sheesh.
Slicknick wrote:

"Steve" wrote

Audi
Audi
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

Thank you! And why does that NOT surprise me that a company that should have stuck to air-cooled engines would be the one to do it that way? :-)
Could have swore a local mechanic told me that once. I'll ask him here in a few days. If he says that is true, I will ask if he knows of a vehicle that does.
BTJustice

Oh, I see. So you really have no clue what you're talking about, you're just pretending to know how cars work, yet boasts which coolant is better... :-P

Because of that? Don't be silly. Show me 1 mechanic that knows everything. None of them. Everyone has to learn from someone that knows more hopefully. That is where I got that information; from someone who knew more at the time. Someone just posted that the car is an Audi.
BTJustice
Am I reading this right? The Audi pumps coolant through the tranny? Learn something new everyday.

everything.
hopefully.
http://www.sts.sae.org/servicetech/july-2001/tech-tidbits.pdf
LOL