dex cool problems

I've got a 2003 Grand Am w/65k miles on it , well maintained. Started losing coolant about a month ago , noticed some emulsified oil in valve cover...nothing leaking to the outside.Pontiac says this is
normal(?). I've done enough research to know I'm looking at intake gaskets , and possibly head gaskets. Does anybody have experience or input on flushing this shit out of my engine , and replacing it with regular old Zerex? What are the chances of GM replacing the gaskets for free..even though it's out of warranty? It's pretty obvious they've ( GM ) got a big problem they're not correcting.The prospect of an 800-$1000 repair bill on something I just paid off has me questioning customer loyalty. Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the laugh.

Who knows?? Maybe in some cases they do. According to Ian, it is not that uncommon in Canada, and dealership goodwill may play a big part.
I also agree with Ian that Dexcool is not likely the cause of the gasket failures.
I have never gotten off my soapbox that it is perhaps not the best antifreeze formulation available, although it has been several years since I actively tested OAT technology in a laboratory setting.
At the time, we found the OAT technology to be somewhat lacking in performance, but we bought the commercial package and sold it to our clients anyway - at their request - because it was environmentally preferable.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. I'll let you know what the dealer /GM decide to do for me.

Don't bother flushing out the dexcool, the problem is with the gaskets. Why don't you call a dealership and find out if they will "good will" the repair? We do goodwill repairs on vehicles like yours all the time.
If you happen to have gone to one dealership a number of times, that would be the one to try first. If you've never spent a nickle of "customer pay" repair money...you may not get anywhere.
Ian

OK. I understand that the problem is with the gaskets , and flushing won't fix that....my take is that the dex cool is eating the gaskets.What I was trying to head off was a repeat failure after the repairs are made by replacing the fluid with something else.As for the dealer , the need to I've got an appointment for them to look at it , but don't really want to pay their labor rate. (I'd be happy to let them fix it for free though.... :)

Dex Cool does not eat gaskets. The underlying problem with these engines and the gaskets commonly used in them is that the manifold floats and the gaskets do not stand up to the temperature related movements between the manifold and the heads. Dex Cool presents some other problems of its own and it's worth your time to read up on what is on the net about it, but it does not ruin gaskets.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I can assure you that the problem is with the gaskets, not with the dexcool. I'm not a huge fan of the extended coolant flushing interval, but other then that, dexcool is ok.
The new intake gaskets have been redesigned. They seem to work better so far.
Ian

Well said Grand Master...!
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 03:07:10 GMT, aarcuda69062

I also can assure you it isn't the Dexcool. My elderly parents have a 95 Century that had the old style green coolant in it from day one and at 12 years and 80k mi it is ready for its second intake gasket job. Speaking of redesigned gaskets are the current ones from GM similar to the Fel Pro Permadry (metal frame) or is GM still using the plastic frame gaskets with the metal buttons in them? This would be for a 95 3100 VIN M.
"aarcuda69062" wrote

Do you want a patch..huh...huh...huh!
I'll send you one! (grin)
Ian

Only if I can dump the 'murkin ones on you.
Did they make you take the tests on a Saturday?
"aarcuda69062" wrote

Hey, I might like that! An American GrandMaster, I like the sound of that!

No, nothing like that....nobody would bother if that was the case. Unless you are talking about the "tie-breakers" and the actual hands on competitions. I've never bothered attempting those. One of the sharp electrical guys in our shop went all the way last year and won a trip to some exotic locale. Then all the techs that had won sat around, told the company reps that "no, we don't want CSI scores factored into our Grandmaster testing and results".......what happens, this year CSI is a factor. Bastards!! (grin)
Ian

Did you think about calling a dealership and asking them? They will often repair the problem. You have to call your local dealership and ask. As for the price, I just had the gaskets changed on my '01 Montana (212,000KM's on the odo). Cost was $1100 Canadian. And, like Ian said. Don't bother flushing the Dexcool out. If it's your gaskets that need to be replaced, flushing the system isn't going to do anything.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

chuckle....snort.........customer loyalty???........uaw loyalty yes........chuckle............it shouldnt be more than 500 bucks for shops that do a few. i charge 400 plus an oil change. and they can change their own oil if they want...most shops are just sticking it to the customer at 750 up.its a 4 hour job if you know what wrenchs are for......but again, thanks for the laugh....loyalty, i love it.....kjun