Dex coolant

Page 1 of 2
My 2000 Impalla head gasket was leaking coolant into the engine.
went to the dealer, total cost of repair was $1030.00
new gasket.thermosat. labour...
was thinking of a new Impalla 2006, but now not so sure about purchase.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jake wrote:

It's unusual for a head gasket to be leaking. I assume it is some sort of V-6 engine?
Add pictures here
βœ–
it a six
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 04:22:02 GMT, "« Paul »" <" « Paul

Add pictures here
βœ–
unusual?
more than half of the impala drivers I know got their head gaskets replaced. maybe unusual just for me.
"« Paul »" <"=?x-user-defined?Q?«?= Paul

Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave wrote:

That is really, really unusual. Rarely does a head gasket go bad on the 2.8-3.4 series or the 3.3-3.8. I would tend to disbelieve until backed up with test data: compression check, leakdown test, exhaust gases in the coolant, etc.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jake
2006 Impala's don't have the same engines as your Impala. The new ones are a 3.5 V6, 3.9 V6 and the SS has a 5.3 V8 with 300 + horsepower.
Good Luck
βœ–
but they still use the same dex-coolant... that stuff eats away at the gaskets.
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:50:29 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Jake wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't an intake manifold gasket? GM 3.4 l V-6 engines are notorious for intake manifold gasket leaks causing coolant in the oil problems.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
that is correct. a manifold gasket, leaking oil into the engine. what has GM done about the problem.

βœ–
I think you probably mean: "the intake manifold gasket was leaking coolant into the crankcase"?
Jake wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
says...

Completely redesigned the intake sealing surface and gaskets with the introduction of the 3.5L engine. Too early to tell if it is finally fixed. Hopefully it is for GM's sake.
Dennis Smith
βœ–
Will GM pay for the repairs ? what do they have to say about the Dex-coolant problem.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 05:34:44 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@ReMoVyahoo.com (Dennis Smith) wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

You can ask, but it isn't likely that they will pay. As for the dex-cool, it's more a design/engineering problem with the manifold and gasket than a coolant problem.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jake wrote:

This problem is over a decade old now and GM has tried many "fixes". Will the 3.5l engine have the problem? Only time will tell.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
I guess if GM had a fix for the gasket.dex-coolant problem they would have done so by now. but I have not heard of any , so I figure it's not a good time to do a trade in for a new gm auto...

βœ–

If the Dexcool is contributing to the degrading the gaskets, why is GM still using Dexcool? Their competitors seem to be doing fine with the green stuff. What is the value add, I guess is the question?
Add pictures here
βœ–

still
The story that DexCool is at fault is largely an urban legend. There IS a problem, but it may not be DexCool
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message news:X--

I see. Are there other advantages to DexCool? If so, I wonder why everyone isn't using it in their new cars.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You haven't been paying attention. The Asians have been using coolant similar to Dexcool's OAT for quite some time, Ford and Chrysler are using a hybrid version of the Dexcool OAT inhibitor package also.
Add pictures here
βœ–
aarcuda69062 wrote:

The big controversy seems to be about the use of the plasticizer 2-EHA as one of the components of Dexcool. A plasticizer softens plastics and apparently can do so with some of the seal materials in vehicles.
None of the other OAT or HOAT type coolants use 2-EHA, it is unique to Dexcool.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–